+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    I remember watching a documentary on concentration camp survivors. All of them had been through hell and many of them had been starved to the point where they looked like flesh-covered skeletons by the time they were rescued. Strangely, many of them still had thick heads of hair. Go figure.
    I have hair like starvation prisoners....2 inches...but every second hair is missing...from distance it does not look awful, only trained eye can see it...

thanks for the reply jame
    Right now, I feel like I have lost about 50% of my hair in a diffused pattern.
    The shedding has decreased a lot in the last week or so. I'm still losing above average amounts of hair. When the shedding was at its worst (about one month ago), I could do a hair pull test and literally pull all my hair right out of my scalp. mostly every single hair had a white bulb. As the shedding has slowed, most hairs don't have any bulb.
    I tried to examine the hair to see if it was tapered near the bulb end. To the naked eye, my hair looked to be a uniform thickness.

Quick update.
    It's been a couple months since I identified the major shedding. Since then, I have greatly reduced stress triggers, started exercising, got on a good diet/supplement program, switch back to name brand Propecia, completely cut out alcohol consumption, started laser therapy, and started using topical minoxidil once daily.
    As of today, my shedding has almost completely stopped. Previously I would have several hairs detaching when shampooing, applying minoxidil, or doing a hair pull test. Today, I have one or two hairs detaching at most.
    Unfortunately it is impossible to pinpoint the exact cause of the hair loss. My impression is extreme stress led to the shedding. Poor diet and lack of exercise were side effects of the stress. I believe all three of these factors led to the shed. I did switch back to the name brand propecia. I had been on a generic finasteride for 18 months previous to the hair shedding. It is possible the generic was the cause.
    I have noticed increased hair density as the shedding has stopped. I will continue to monitor the situation and post back.

Male hair loss from stress is nearly a myth. Are you losing it *everywhere* or along the typical MPB lines? If it's stress, it's going to come out from the sides and back, too. It's just coming out of the crown and front hairline, you just have plain old MPB.

About 1/100 men will ever experience stress related hair loss. If you're not in such deep throws of anxiety, that you cannot sleep and you feel like you're about to throw up several times a day, you are not experiencing stress related hair loss.

I had extreme weight loss...30 lbs basically in a month..at november... I lost 50% of chest hair also, I could pull at least half of chest hairs(waiting for chest hairs to regrow also..).. No more hairloss, it is now of better quality..seeing some sprouts, but hopefully main regrowth will come. Main regrowth is 6-8 months, after shedding stops.. no hairloss in my family..and I am 38..

I don't use anything..just some multivitamins....hope it will resolve naturally..2 and half months after shedding episode.. 4 months now after I realized that I was bald...

Sometimes emotional or physical stress can lead to hair loss. But the kind of stress that causes you to lose your sleep. I don't think the kind of stress one faces coz of work load and coz of hectic routine can cause anyone to lose their hair but unless its long-term and some significant events that have been stressful, may show some effects in fact not just on hair but over all health. Also diet plays an important role which many just might ignore. However, to combat this issue simply follow an iron-rich diet, you can take supplements of vitamins essential for hair like biotin, vitamin B in case if your diet is become poor.

If not controlled in time & ignored the problem can worsen and lead to infections like telogen effluvium as jame states in fact there are other infections related to hair as well caused by stress. Which will then need a doctors consultation along with prolonged treatment.

I really have doubts about stress doing anything for MPB. I still have my doubts about diet too, but I think there is some chance a diet could alter androgen levels to some amount so maybe it could have some minor effect. No good evidence for diet controlling MPB though that I am aware of
    There are hobos, prisoners, and others that eat very little or eat poorly and have almost perfect hairlines at older ages. They would be lacking some of those very key ingredients people say is essential for hair growth yet there hair grows perfectly fine. Very hard for me to buy into the diet angle, but its possible. I think its just some malfunction or inhibitor like androgens or something deeper that stops hair growth verses nutrients you need to keep hair growing.

With each type of hair loss, the exact link between the hair loss and stress is somewhat unclear.

-While stress will sometimes cause the hair loss directly, other times, the stress makes an existing condition worse. In some cases, the hair loss will cause the stress, rather than the other way around.
    -Although most instances of hair loss will not require any significant medical attention, in some cases the hair loss is not the result of stress (as you might believe), but is in fact a symptom of a more serious underlying issue. Therefore, it important that you see your doctor rather than self-diagnosing.
    -Some of the more serious conditions which can lead to hair loss include hypothyroidism, auto-immune diseases such as lupus and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). With hypothyroidism and PCOS there are treatment options available which can help hair to grow back. However, with auto-immune related hair loss, the loss is often permanent.

Diet is Important : Eat at least three, well-balanced meals a day. Never skip breakfast, as it gets your metabolism going in the morning and helps to prevent cravings for unhealthy snacks before lunch.