+ Reply to Thread

Default Should I be Scared

Hello all, first post here

I am considering my second transplant to the frontal area, I got my first one 15 years ago 1500 graphs....

Now I am 42 and am considering a second. After talking too 3 doctors they all say my hairline is good but the density in the front is about 20%, they all say they could put 1500 in the area and it would thicken that area nicely. Right now I dont look bald if i have my hair down, but if i put it up you really see it.

In any case to thicken it you got to put the new hairs around the existing hairs obviously. I have got myself all worked up about shockloss, like for two or three months it will freak out my existing hair (i am not worried about the new hair falling) and I will be super bald right at the front... could this happen? Just wondering if I do this to make me more confident if I mess it all up and make it worse then it is.

It is stressful thinking about it... funny thing is when I got my first treatment 15 years ago I was not stressed at all, there wasnt even any talk about shockloss with existing hair.

hairguy,

It sounds like you are able to get away with your hair loss with your hair down, but have a tough time with any other hair style. The first question to answer would be do you need another transplant? The second transplant would most likely give you more density and allow you some more flexibility in your styling. (You might want to post photos from different angles and with the hair combed in different directions).

Shock loss can and does happen. Thankfully, with most men it is very subtle when compared to their female hair transplant counterparts. Most men, if they do get shock loss, have only a small amount that may be noticeable only to them and not to others. Having said that, the risk is still not zero that you could lose enough where it would temporarily (few months) be noticeable. The good news for you is that you did not have shock loss during the first surgery. Those with shock loss in one surgery typically will have it again. Also, the transplanted hairs that you now have in the recipient area tend to me somewhat more resistant to shock loss than the surrounding native hairs (especially those that are actively thinning).

Finally, the use of minoxidil and/or laser therapy before and after surgery may be beneficial in helping to prevent shock loss and/or hasten the regrowth of hair. You might want to consider these prior to a second session.

I agree that transplanted hair does not shock out as readily as diffused native hair. But it can occur.

If your present density is roughly 20%, then that presents enough room to easily add another 1500 grafts. That's not a very large procedure unless the grafts are placed extremely close in proximity to each other. Doubtful that your surgeon would do anything like that. He will probably space them nicely to spread the density appropriately. In addition, shock loss is more related to the level of trauma caused by the procedure such as the recipient incisions but again, 1500 grafts is not a mega procedure in today's standards.

If your first procedure was roughly 15 years ago, did you have micros and minis done or did you select a surgeon who was learning the advanced FUHT method, meaning dissecting your FUs in their original state/form and then implanting them as intact FUs?

Best wishes to you in your upcoming procedure...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    I agree that transplanted hair does not shock out as readily as diffused native hair. But it can occur.

If your present density is roughly 20%, then that presents enough room to easily add another 1500 grafts. That's not a very large procedure unless the grafts are placed extremely close in proximity to each other. Doubtful that your surgeon would do anything like that. He will probably space them nicely to spread the density appropriately. In addition, shock loss is more related to the level of trauma caused by the procedure such as the recipient incisions but again, 1500 grafts is not a mega procedure in today's standards.

If your first procedure was roughly 15 years ago, did you have micros and minis done or did you select a surgeon who was learning the advanced FUHT method, meaning dissecting your FUs in their original state/form and then implanting them as intact FUs?

Thanks my first procedure was done with the extraction of the strip from the back and then they took the hairs from there and placed them in the front.... I am not sure if micro or mini was used as I am not exactly sure of the difference, it was so long ago and I honestly went into it rather blind.

I decided to delay the procedure for now because I am visiting my hometown for 3 months and would rather not be dealing with any possible hair issues at that time... will give it a go when I get back...I think I have asked my doctor so many questions on email I have driven him mad.... what made me worried was one of the emails he mentioned that yes there is a good chance I could look really bald in the front for a couple of months which to be all honest freaked me out... i will work on getting those images.

yes you hit the nail on the head. I can pass rather well having my hair down and using a bit of thickening hair gel. But any hair style that goes up its just to thin in the front to do it.... One of the doctors told me if this was my very first procedure he would say I dont really need it, but since this is my second he understands that I like to thicken and strengthen the first procedure more for confidence and cosmetic reasons on my end.

I dont think I had shock loss first surgery at least nothing that made me remember it. I am sure if I went though 2 months of super shock loss I would have remembered that I will work on those pics to give you a better idea

Cheers

I got some photos, not the best I did them with my phone, no gel or anything
    did it tonight after a quick wash, as you can see have a half decent amount of hair i think.. but when i lift it up in the front its where I am 20% density.. so maybe this will help if i can hide shockloss etc, if i get it after a procedure

thanks everyone for checking it out, sorry some are upside down not sure why that is happening, tried multiple times to get them up right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair51.jpg

Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	37907   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair52.jpg

Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	37908   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair53.jpg

Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	37909   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair56.jpg

Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	37910   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair55.jpg

Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	37911  

any thoughts Anyone bump da bump

Looks fine to me
    Even pulled back , yea it's a little thin but not something I would have noticed if you didn't tell me