Hair loss and regrowth.. my story [w/ pictures]

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeepTheHair
    • Mar 2010

Your hair looked worse than mine...to now better than mine...

Geez. But anyway. I think it would still be a good idea to throw in some thickness products and go totally overboard. That is what I would do even if I have such great results!

Time will tell...

Comment

• [mcr]
      • Dec 2009

I am noticing some shedding these days. This is most likely due to starting ******* last week. It's the only thing that's changed in my regimen. I'm not shedding a lot, so I'm not worried about it.

Also, I believe I've gotten as much as I ever will from fin/dut, which is I am very happy with. I will continue to use them to maintain what I have.

However, I am now seriously looking into getting a HT because my temples are very unlikely to regrow the hair that fell out. I was looking at some old pictures and that hair was the first to fall out; I had lost it by age 20. It was just genetically programmed to fall out and never grow again.

I've been looking at the galleries of pictures here and they are very encouraging. HT procedures have reached a level today where good results can reasonably be expected. I will contact some docs and see if the financial aspect is something I can work out. By my unscientific estimates, I'll probably need between 1000 and 2000 grafts. I wish HT procedures were more affordable.

I love this forum. It's relatively small and there's a sense of community here. And it's great that there are docs who take the time to interact with the common folk.

Comment

• KeepTheHair
        • Mar 2010

yeah, I too want a transplant even if I get some regrowth. The hair will really boost my confidence! But all the money, not easy to get.

Wish I could get my hands on some dutasteride and take it weekly or something.

Comment

• [mcr]
          • Dec 2009

Time for a quick update.

I've been traveling for the past 3 weeks and only took finasteride with me. I have an appointment with my primary doc next month; I want to ask him about the safety of long-term use of dutasteride before resuming it.

I've also noticed that using *******15+ makes hair grow all over my body, not just scalp. My arm hair, eyebrows, etc. I'm not a hairy person so this is not noticeable, but it's still not necessarily something I like.

Otherwise, I continue to get thicker hair on my head and my hairline is advancing ever so slowly. I am extremely happy with the results, and really considering getting a HT to get some hair on my temples. Once that's done I would be really close to having an undamaged hairline.

I was wondering what would happen since I stopped ******* and dut now that I'm traveling, but it seems finasteride does a great job by itself - no shedding, so I wonder if dutasteride was doing anything at all. I guess we'll never know.

Comment

• Jewil
            • Jun 2010

Amazing. Congratulations with your results. And thanks for posting this and adding hope to us who are new on propecia! Take care.

Comment

• [mcr]
              • Dec 2009

Another quick update. I took a picture and just wanted to show the very small progress I've been making. My hairline is trying to recover though it's really very slow and I believe I need a HT.

Here's a picture though. You can see little hairs popping up on my temples though it's really too little hair to matter.

If I could get a few hairs implanted in that area where the red arrows are I think it would look much better.

Comment

• KeepTheHair
                • Mar 2010

You really are getting greedy . Your hair has improved a lot. I'd love to get a hair transplant too. But honestly...the scars the money it costs. It really isn't worth it man...

Your hair really does look fine. You might try something like retin-a for regrowth or some topical antiandrogen like spironolactone to increase benefits maybe... I doubt it would do much though. Give minox some more time. But it won't do that much.

I don't think it's wise to be greedy man. Your hair looks good. You really don't want a scar and FUE is really expensive lol. But if you have the money I would probably also do it!

Post some better pics maybe? I am curious how your hair line compares to mine.

Comment

• trsisko
                  • Oct 2010

What about side effects in your regime?

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                    • Sep 2010

I just have to say, this is an amazing response to finasteride.

I honestly think your hair looks damn good now, but I can understand still wanting a transplant. A few years back, you probably didn't even consider the possibility of regaining a youthful head of hair. And now that you see you're such a good responder to meds, all kinds of new cosmetic opportunities have opened up.
                    Good luck with whatever you decide. If you do go ahead with a transplant, just remember to do a ton of research first, as you should with any elective surgery!

Comment

• dgman21
                      • Sep 2010

My hair shedding is really really bothering me.....Everyday i feel worse when i look in the mirror but at times i feel decent.. Its soooo hard to stay positive. I'm shedding so much hair and dread showers in the morning.. I talked to spencer bout this 2 weeks ago and i just need to vent about this shedding!!!!

Comment

• hairmeister
                        • Nov 2010

Cheap Proscar

Google Fincar. Exact finasteride equivalent of Proscar (5 mg), but way cheaper and you can buy over internet. There are some here who won't trust anything overseas (in this case India) but I have been using for years and will continue to do so.

Comment

• markusbdc
                          • Jun 2014

I use a small plier type horizontal nail cutter/wire cutter that you can get at any hardware store to cut the pills - works better than pill cutters..

Comment

Working...