+ Reply to Thread

Question First post and I have no idea what happened and why it happened so quickly

Hello forum first time posting here

I'm currently experiencing a very quick loss / thinning of hair on one side of my front of my head. It has gone from an average maturing hairline last October to a distinct bald patch forming to the right on my apex(? dunno if the word is right but the peak at the front) but the left is fine. I'm baffled as I have photos from last September with close ups on my head that show nothing of the sort. I started using Nizoral about 2 months ago and I can't tell if this is making the problem better or worse. I get an enormous amount of shedding suddenly and the hair itself seems thinner than ever before, for the first time I can see my scalp shining through the front right (but again not from the left for some reason) and after I shower the front looks like it has less hair than I have on my chest.

The only thing that this coincides with is starting a job working in a bar after about a year of being unemployed and having a few minor issues with malnutrition and weight loss (5'9" and 8.5 stone at my lowest).

Now I've had a little bit of loss before with a slowly receding hairline going back about 3cm by the age of 32. I'm not going to lie even though it was very minimal this really bothered me, mostly because up until about 6 months ago I was known as Pretzels with the hair due to having it long, curly and ridiculous and I used to get a lot of "you'll never lose your hair" and "that is the thickest hair I've ever seen" etc. So in order to make this not get any worse and keep my one defining feature I've tried a few things just to maintain such as Regaine, herbal supplements, Alpecin shampoo etc which all did more harm than good really. Alpecin seemed to do nothing as did the supplements and I found out I'm severely allergic to Midox and using it will cause me to stop breathing.

What is going on please? does anyone have any helpful ideas?

How is the hair loss in your family?

There are no cures.
    There is minoxidil that brings some back temporary ~ 2-2.5years. And then there is Finasteride/propecia which inhibis testosterone convering to Dihydrotestosterone which causes stress to the androgen sensitive hair follicles.

Finasteride can cause irreversible impotence and permanent decreased sexual sensitivity as well as it often affects libido.

Other than that there is hair transplants.

Post some pictures? Get your nutrition in check. Sorry for your loss.

Nothing really like this. My grandfather on my fathers side was completely bald from an early age but all his brothers had no / minimul loss and both my father and my uncle had Norwood 4 - full head of hair respectively in their late 60's and no balding on my mothers side so confusing really.

Like I said I'm heavily allergic to Minoxidil and it causes severe breathing issues so that is not an option and given that I'm reluctant to try my luck with Finasteride considering the safe one almost killed me within 4 days.

The thing that is confusing me is the localised / fast nature of it. I had prepared myself as much as I could for my hairline to recede and bald on the back like my father but losing so much so quickly in such an odd place is what has befuddled me. That's why I mentioned the nizoral, other treatments and health issues, to see if anyone else has he same thing and what came of it.

Well, good luck in your search.

I am looked on as a little anti-drug tho, at least when it comes to minoxidil and finasteride...

Minoxidil because it only seems good for a short period, and finasteride because of the severe side effects.

If you aren't going to lose too much hair, a hair transplant might be enough... We're still about 10-15 years too early with out hair loss technology wise: / But maybe we will be surprised, there are other drugs being discussed in the Cutting-Edge-Future-Treatments

Step one has to be for you to see a doctor to see what exactly you have going on. Maybe you don't even have MPB so you will not need to even go on medication to keep your hair. At the very least you will know what you are dealing with and will be able to make a decision whether or not you want to treat your hair loss.

If you do have MPB, then you are pretty much down to one option since you can't take minoxidil, it's finasteride. If you are hesitant to take fin because of the chance of sides, then I really doubt you want to jump on an experimental treatment where you really have no idea what will happen to you by taking it.

I personally am anti drug, but I take fin, because I am also anti bald, not for others but for me. Hopefully we will see a cure or better treatment in the future, but I don't have enough hair on my head to let it go untreated.

Your only options are rogaine and propecia. You should think about trying Propecia in a level headed way. The side effects occur in only 2% of the people and subside in 1% of those people, leaving 1% of people who really don't seem to be able to tolerate the drug. There is no evidence of permanent side effects. The only people who say this are the same type of people who don't inoculate their children and cause public health problems for everyone else.

The malnutrition in your diet most probably set off a chain of events which caused the hair loss you are seeing right now. If you are trying to grow or maintain your hair, being on a diet that does not give your body all the nutrients it needs, is the worst thing you can do. This is because, your body will stop supplying nutrients to your hair follicles in such a situation, as it focuses the nutrients it does get to keep your vital organs, like your heart working. Hair is not a vital organ.

In such a situation, it is very easy to lose hair, and very difficult to regrow back the hair you have lost as a result. Maybe now, realistically, the best you can hope for is to maintain the hair that you do have now without it deteriorating further.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    How is the hair loss in your family?

There are no cures.
    There is minoxidil that brings some back temporary ~ 2-2.5years. And then there is Finasteride/propecia which inhibis testosterone convering to Dihydrotestosterone which causes stress to the androgen sensitive hair follicles.

Finasteride can cause irreversible impotence and permanent decreased sexual sensitivity as well as it often affects libido.

Other than that there is hair transplants.

Post some pictures? Get your nutrition in check. Sorry for your loss.
    I have never experienced the side effects you mentioned with Fina, and neither has anyone i have ever met for that matter. Go for the Fina, great stuff.

Thank you.

Side effects of FINA are very uncommon and it works in most of the cases.