+ Reply to Thread

Default On a positive note...

I'm posting in hopes that young guys who start suffering from hairloss would find my experience helpful. I'm a 19 year old who developed a scalp condition that is somewhat like alopecia but affected follicles won't ever regenerate hair, so for me the only option is to shave it to the skin. I was so very concerned at first but once I did shave it was the most liberating experience of my life. (Besides skydiving) I've gotten more comments saying good about the shaved head then I did my thick hair a couple years back. Now I admit I have a decent head shape for it and I come from a military family so a skin shaven head is something I seen a lot of, wasn't a huge shock to me like it might be some. A girl I had just begun talking to spent a whole 2 seconds processing it when I first showed her and she said "it's different but it works and really brings out your eyes" and didn't care or get hung up on it. The point of this thread is for people who, like me came here for information, and want to see a positive side of it. It's not like a lot of people here make it sound, I'm not downplaying hairloss (I've been accused of not knowing what it's like since it's not make pattern but patchy and sickly thin is still hairloss in my book) but everyone here seems to say it's the end of your dating life and well..life in general. They say it makes you look older, I shaved and people say they think I'm 21 or so, so I guess I did age a whole two years. People say it will affect you in work or even education sometimes, I took courses and got licensed as a skydiver making decent bucks per tandem jump and I can assure you no one said "sorry you need hair to be accepted or to jump from planes" I still am continuing education this fall. And they say it's the end of dating (see aforementioned girl scenario, and she barely knew me at the time) now some think 'if it isn't so bad why does everybody on this site have such a hard time' some people do rely on hair more than others, some May sport shaved better, some really do struggle and I don't mean to belittle that at all, but in sociology courses the first thing they teach you- people who are unsatisfied are 4-5 times more likely to speak out about what's happening in their lives than the people who are doing well, if life is going great for a bald guy he has no reason to post here it's that simple. Most bald guys are out living life! I'm the only bald guy I know in real life who knows or uses this site. Personally I think the best treatment is a razor. Maybe I'm biased because it's my only option but still , it's become acceptable and I have friends who shave just to get the look, some friends who are also very successful in the ladies department. So shaved will always work better than horseshoe in my opinion, it take the 'older' looking part out of it. I'm sure I'll get some hate comments saying I'm wrong or fake or don't understand. But I told it based on my experience, I like standing out and have always had a 'speak out and take what you want-if people don't like it screw em' attitude and I think that attitude can help anyone dealing with something like this. If anyone else has had a positive outcome or has experiences which differ from most of the negative on here please comment below.