+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question creatine, good or bad for hair?

I was using creatine for a little while until I read that it might cause hair loss. Apparently a study was done on rugby players who took creatine for a period of time. Blood tests showed an increase in DHT levels, leading researches to come to the conclusion this will lead to hair loss.

In the recent follicept thread, it is mentioned that creatine increases IGF-1 levels, which might be linked to hair growth. follicept is currently testing the effectiveness of IGF1.

So I reaching out to the more experienced and educated members of this board. Should I take creatine or not?

bump?

Do not take creatine if you value your hair!

It's a good supplement and sucks but if you got hair problems you shouldn't be using it.

I've heard of even guys on 0.5mgDUT who will have increased hairloss on creatine :0

Creatine increases DHT and increased DHT in some men leads to hair loss. I took creatine for 4 years and it sent me to a Norwood 2. I've been off for a year now and my hair loss has halted. The study done on the rugby players showed that there was a significant increase in DHT in those taking creatine, but the ones taking the placebo did not have significant rises in DHT. It can not be a mere coincidence that the levels were higher.

That really sucks ! the reason I ask is im currently taking .5mg of Dut per day but am thinking I need to get in better shape and more masculine etc. I recently bought one of those weight gain things of Amazon and Creatine is one of the many ingredients I think its at a low % though . Is there a bulking supplement that wont affect hair? Im an ectomorph so its hard for me to make gains in the gym without nutritional supplements. Sucks a$$ as I have aggressive hair loss too, I just want to look better!!

Il explain later I use creatine, anything over 5g and new type creatine has an effect on Hairloss! I been training for years and know exactly how my hair is effected, plus using Ketaconazole shampoo daily helps like Regenepure Dr!

Ya I was careless and just tossed abunch into my protein shakes. The study done on creatine seems pretty accurate. If you're immune to the higher DHT levels (40% after loading phase) than you should be good. Not worth using creatine if you are prone to it though.

Okay so I ended up buying this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Its not marketed as a creatine shake but creatine is listed as an ingredient so maybe its a small amount

@Jazz1 So are you saying that using creatine up to 5g a day is okay? I know people load up on 30g a day of creatine so 5g or under should be okay right?

Quote Originally Posted by FFS View Post
    Okay so I ended up buying this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Its not marketed as a creatine shake but creatine is listed as an ingredient so maybe its a small amount

@Jazz1 So are you saying that using creatine up to 5g a day is okay? I know people load up on 30g a day of creatine so 5g or under should be okay right?
    Correct, I been training for years and I use creatine celltech was good until they recently changed their formula. The new formula gives amazing pumps but Unfortunatly I started shedding and itching like crazy. I than read online that anything below 5g is fine, now I use maximuscle which is so much better, zero shedding for me and awesome pump plus strength.

Ever since I've ready the study about the rugby players, I've stopped using creatine. Just to be on the safe side