All these new potential treatments - how excited should we be ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimoxynil
    • Oct 2014

All these new potential treatments - how excited should we be ?

Basically what the thread title says. Obviously there have been hundreds of let-downs over the years. What makes this current passage of play any different?

One of these potential products has only released a study on mice. Mice !? I thought we were better than that? I really want to be as positive as I can but I'm struggling to believe the hype.

Cheers
  • Sogeking
    • Feb 2011

Well people are excited becuase a lot of them have he potential to seriously slow down or halt hair loss with less serious side effects.

As you know some of them have studies done on mice, but doesn't exclude some minor regrowth in humans.

Basically if they work they could be a bridge towards low amount of hair loss until the cure comes in 10-15 years.

So be cautiously optimistic with a healthy dose of scepticism.

Comment

• EXprettyboy
      • Sep 2011

SM04554

OC000459

Setipiprant

Follicept

Bimatoprost

I'd rather be at the races for a gamble, than flogging the dead horses (fin + minix) we have as it stands!

Comment

• deuce
        • May 2013

I would be excited if it was 2009. Unfortunately I will be bald in 3+ years when these things come out. But I am excited for my future children. I guess.

Comment

• Justinian
          • Sep 2014

SM04554 is only taking NW4/NW5 for their trial, so don't count out major re-growth options. Bim too has potential for large amounts of re-growth.

Comment

• DanWS
            • Jul 2013

The only one I'm really interested in right now is Follicept, because it has an impressive team behind it with a good track record, who are confident of their method, and they're looking to get their product to market this year. What's most exciting is that we'll find out within a couple of months from now if it works or not. It's important to be cautious but I feel more optimistic about Follicept than any other new/future treatment that has come around in the last few years.

We'll see.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Dimoxynil
              One of these potential products has only released a study on mice. Mice !? I thought we were better than that?
              Cmon dude, at least the current potential treatments are helping. Mice need hair too.

Comment

• Scientalk56
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                Cmon dude, at least the current potential treatments are helping. Mice need hair too.
                Best comment for the year! Lol

Comment

• Keki
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by deuce
                  I would be excited if it was 2009. Unfortunately I will be bald in 3+ years when these things come out. But I am excited for my future children. I guess.
                  You have just to wait the safety trial not the market mass production, then a dermatologist can give you the treatment as off label if nothing works

Comment

• Scientalk56
                    • Nov 2012

As you have already said, Potential.. which means nothing to be excited about.. it takes decades for a drug to be approved and be mass produced.

Comment

• Trenblastoise
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Scientalk56
                      As you have already said, Potential.. which means nothing to be excited about.. it takes decades for a drug to be approved and be mass produced.
                      I think "potential" is something to be excited about if it is backed up with evidence.

Comment

• Swooping
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by Trenblastoise
                        I think "potential" is something to be excited about if it is backed up with evidence.
                        What evidence exactly?

Comment

• Scientalk56
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Scientalk56
                          This evidence wont make it available for the public in the short time. Stuff like these take decades. When we're already totally bald in unreversible way, or too old to even care.

We should be excited for a drug that has a potential to be mass produced this year. but theres's no such drug. They are all being tested in trials.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Swooping
                            What evidence exactly?
                            The evidence that at least somebody is working on a cure I guess. yay.

Comment

• Trenblastoise
                              • Jul 2014

What evidence exactly?
                              Stem cell treatments do work, that's why it is being invested in. It's been researched for many many years with lots of progress.

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                              The evidence that at least somebody is working on a cure I guess. yay.
                              No, that stem cells actually do work. Lots of studies out on that.

Oh ok, I'll come back in 5 years.
                              k

Comment

Working...