+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hello Bald Truth Talk!

My story is that I began loosing my hair when I was in my late 20s. By my mid-30's it was quite obvious, and my late 30's I was looking my age or older. At that point I decided I was done looking old before my time and decided to do something about it. I did a lot of googling and came across much information on procedures, and where to get them done. I finally settled on a Bosley's that had just recently opened in Richmond, VA.

After examining me, the doc said i would need somewhere between 1200-1500 grafts to really bring the hairline back in AND thicken upthe front. So I went ahead and setup the appointment.

On April 8, 2009 I had the procedure done in his Richmond office. After the surgery I started hitting the message boards, and found that there was not a lot of info on my doc Edwin Epstein. That got me a little worried, because a lot of other websites had mentioned the same docs over and over. Through all my searches the good news was that there was no negative information on him. I was still concerned, but my doc also had some pretty impressive credentials. So I was patient, and I did what needed to be done. I didn't exercise too much, or get in the sun, I just followed all the protocols.

I am here to tell you that I am very, very pleased with my results, I just passed the 8th month mark, and I couldn't be happier. I went in to be examined yesterday, and take a bunch of after pictures. He used one of those microscope scalp things on my head and showed me what I didn't expect to see, a lot more smaller hairs that were still popping through. I mean it's pretty thick already, and I am pleased right now with it, but to think in another 4 to 6 months it could get even thicker!! Loving it!

I have posted some pics to show my progress, and unfortunatly they aren't great because I kept my hair cut short until the last 2 months of growth. But look at the last picture. The hair does look a tad light in front, but I can assure you it's looking really good and the hairline looks very natural.

The also did some pictures of the rear where the hair was removed, but they could only find traces of the scar, I don't have those pics but will post them when I can get them...overall the experience was great, I'm pleased, and I'm telling you, sometimes you just have to have faith that there are some doctors out there that don't get a lot of message board publicity but it doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do.

I would be happy to talk to anyone that is thinking about getting this surgery.

I'm sure that there are some good doctors at Bosley, it's that you never know who you are getting so it's more of a crap shoot. I don't see the pictures?? Personally I think you are very lucky!

Default Pictures

Delphi,

I posted them in the results section of the website.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HairyUp View Post
    Delphi,

I posted them in the results section of the website.
    Where is that? Can to provide a link?
    Thanks!

Default Actually

I posted them as part of an album on my profile

If the below link doesn't work then just click my profile name and find my album

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/album.php?albumid=244

Wow! Looking good so far. You should upload your pictures in the thread, I don't know if a lot of people look at personal albums as much as what is posted in the thread. I would have never found them.
    You should post some more, it would be good to see with better lighting. But so far it looks very good from what I can see.

Default Yup...

I got nothing to hide, the difference in the lighting was because I got a new higher end camera, and the flash was being reflected off the mirror. So I turned off the flash. So yeah the lighting isn't great. Dr. Epstein tool a lot of pictures in the meeting yesterday, including the donor area. I will be happy to post more.

I was keeping track of my progress for several months, but moved, and was not able to keep up with it, plus as I said I had been shaving my head.

I also did not mention that he prescribed Propecia to me for the top, and I have to say that the propecia worked like crazy, I also use topical 5% minoxidal. Makes my scalp itch like crazy.

I am here to say if anyone has anything they want to say, don't believe, or anything I will be happy to share my story over a phone call. If the results were weak I would of berated the doc to no end. But the results are great, so the feedback about him and his work is great too. I think that's how it works right?

Please ask questions...I know I just started posting, but I'm a real person, not a paid actor, if you live in the area, and are thinking about getting it done buy me a cup of coffee and see the results in person.

Quote Originally Posted by HairyUp View Post
    I got nothing to hide, the difference in the lighting was because I got a new higher end camera, and the flash was being reflected off the mirror. So I turned off the flash. So yeah the lighting isn't great. Dr. Epstein tool a lot of pictures in the meeting yesterday, including the donor area. I will be happy to post more.

I was keeping track of my progress for several months, but moved, and was not able to keep up with it, plus as I said I had been shaving my head.

I also did not mention that he prescribed Propecia to me for the top, and I have to say that the propecia worked like crazy, I also use topical 5% minoxidal. Makes my scalp itch like crazy.

I am here to say if anyone has anything they want to say, don't believe, or anything I will be happy to share my story over a phone call. If the results sucked I would of berated the doc to no end. But the results are great, so the feedback about him and his work is great too.

Please ask questions...I know I just started posting, but I'm a real person, not a paid actor, if you live in the area, and are thinking about getting it done buy me a cup of coffee and see the results in person.
    I never stated that you have “something to hide” chill, this is a friendly community with lots of good people who are just trying to learn and to help each other out. I just thought it would be good to post some better pictures. No biggie
    Best of luck to you.

Thumbs up No worries

I wasn't implying that you were saying that. I have been a frequent lurker on these boards in the past and I know that a lot of people are very skeptical, so I was just making a blanket statement, since I saw about 60 people had viewed this thread. That's all. I appreciate your questions/comments. I have been to other hair loss websites where people are very, shall we say, opinionated about certain doctors or offices, like Bosley.

Heck it's great to be skeptical, that's why as I've said in a couple posts email me and bring up your questions, and I'll be happy to answer them.

If you are WAITING right now, because you are not sure if you want to do the procedure or not, as in, on the fence...I can attest that this procedure works! Just do it.

As far as which doctors to use, do your homework. But if you are in the area, and want to first hand see me in person, I'd be happy to meet you.

Have you had a procedure yet Delphi?

Smile

Not a problem. I read the other forums too and see how people behave. I would consider this to be more of an expert forum, since so many experts and respected doctors post here instead of the other sites. The people who post are different too, there're very respectful of one another and sincerely seem like they want to help each other out.

I have learned more here in the past nine months then from spending a year on another site. Too much drama not enough helping . I’m trying to post more now to give back a little.

I have not had a hair transplant yet, but was considering one when I joined the site. I’ve since been on Propecia and have grown some serious hair back and have slowed my loss. I’m still considering having a transplant but I’m not as desperate as I was before. When I do go for it, and I will, I believe that I am now much better prepared for it.