+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can someone explain why exactly reversing slick bald areas is so difficult?

Nothing we have, or even may have, anytime soon seems to be able to reverse hairloss in areas of the scalp with slick bald patches.

Why is this?

When taking Fin/Dut the conditions that originally caused the hair to die no longer exist, so why doesn't it start growing again like thinning hair does?

Do we know what would be necessary to kick start hair regrowth in these areas? And what is the status of research for treatments that can do just that?

Each hair follicle is a little organ. When androgenic alopecia occurs, the organ (follicle) is irreparably damaged.

Why doesn't a finger grow back once you've amputated it?

Quote Originally Posted by bbbeeeppp3 View Post
    And what is the status of research for treatments that can do just that?
    Those treatments are about 5 years away. I hear scientists are seeing very promising results...on mice.

Its like letting your tooth rot to the point where it falls out and then trying to regrow it. The only way is to make a whole new tooth with stem cells (and this will be possible too), but obviously that is not an easy feat to accomplish. Give it 15 or more years. Luckily with hair the individual organs are small, and they have almost been able to make all the cell types needed for a whole follicle. My guess is more than a handful of groups are putting together ways of combining DP, DSC, and epithelial cells to make proto-follicles that might grow in the scalp. The japanese just did this in mice with human follicles this year.

The other problem with bald scalp is that it contains a lot of scar tissue around the dead follicles. I don't think anyone really knows if this is a large obstacle towards implanting new follicles or not. transplanted follicles in HT procedures seem to do ok, which is a good sign, and probably the pro to follicles will have to be encased in epithelial and fat cells to survive. It's all going to eventually work, but theres no point waiting around for it. by the time its all working then you have to add another decade of trials.

In short, don't even worry about it if you're very bald, just move on. If you have a lot of hair still then use whatever you can, because maintenance treatments will likely get better soon, and we'll probably see cell therapies that basically make you immune to further balding in the next decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurcalvitie View Post
    Each hair follicle is a little organ. When androgenic alopecia occurs, the organ (follicle) is irreparably damaged.

Why doesn't a finger grow back once you've amputated it?
    There are a lot of places on the body where hair doesn't start growing until puberty. If chemical processes in the body can lead to thick hair growth on my face where there was none before, wouldn't it make sense that some alternate chemical process could lead to hair regrowth in places on the scalp where there is no hair?

Also, we have been able to regrow hair in slick bald areas of the head in people who don't have AGA but other forms of hairloss. Why would AGA be different?

no

Quote Originally Posted by bbbeeeppp3 View Post
    Also, we have been able to regrow hair in slick bald areas of the head in people who don't have AGA but other forms of hairloss. Why would AGA be different?
    Hey, in AGA the bald scalp retains stem cells: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21206086

So theoretically AGA should be reversible even in late stages, just need to reactivate the stem cells.

@bbbeeeppp3

It is possible to reverse damage and to regrow hair in androgenetic alopecia. I have gone myself NW4 to NW2 with treatments (Now a NW1 though). I have seen reversal of androgenetic alopecia to great extent and sometimes full. It's also known in literature. It's just not common at all. Estrogen + castration is the best method known of sometimes causing (full) reversal of androgenetic alopecia.

Anyway there are all different forms of hairloss

- Androgenetic alopecia (reversible)
    - Alopecia areata (reversible, auto-immune, mechanism fully understood)
    - Scarring Alopecia's (irreversible, fibrosis & scarring)
    - Senescence (aging) alopecia (unknown)

To answer your question though why it is so difficult. There is one answer; nobody full understands yet. However multiple researchers are pointing out extremely hard evidence lately to important factors which are implicated in androgenetic alopecia;

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3828374/
    - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17989730
    - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18702626
    - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25647436
    - http://www.papersearch.net/view/deta...l_key=27731029

There are like 3 or 4 more studies of other researchers who point out the same problems. Anyway you don't need to read them as they might be hard to understand. I can translate it to you in a simple manner though. Your hair follicle consists of different types of cells. Your whole body does. Every cell is a little organism, literally a working horse. Every cell can decide his own cell fate. A cell can decide to profilerate, they can die (apoptosis), and they can also lock itself (senescence). Among some other actions.

Now your hair follicle consists of a extremely important type of mesenchymal type of cells. These cells initially kind of made your whole hair follicle when you were in the embryogenesis state. These cells are called the dermal papilla. They can be seen as a master regulator of the hair follicle. I don't exactly remember how much dermal papilla cells there are present in every hair follicle but I think the number was 500. They are the mastor regulator of the hair follicle basically. They also harness the androgen receptors of the hair follicle.

Now I think you already know androgens are bad. Imagine now the androgens coming through the blood attaching to the androgen receptor to the dermal papilla. These 500 cells of the dermal papilla receive that signal. However in a person with androgenetic alopecia something is causing them to get stressed out like hell. The researchers refer to this as "oxidative stress" & "dna damage" in the studies I just showed you. You remember that I mentioned that cells can decide their own cell fate right? Well so these researchers point out that these cells react to this stress. After all prolonged stress isn't good at all for cells and they adapt in an efficient manner. What do they do? Every cell individually at a certain moment has had enough of it and goes in a permanent lock of cell arrest. That's how they shield itself from the stress from preventing further damage. Problem is this lock is extremely hard to unlock. They locked itself down for a reason and the pathways responsible for this are a extremely important function of the cells in your body. Without them you wouldn't survive. This mechanism also protects you from oncogene (cancer) transformation for example.

Now the fun thing is remember; estrogen? Estrogen has impact on these pathways and can override this cell fate lock. A fun fact is also with that that estrogen is seen as a cancerous compound. There is way more proof for these researchers that this really seems to be the problem. This is also the case when you observe AGA. For instance the amount of dermal papilla cells correlate with hair size. So if you have 500 dermal papilla cells in a normal cell fate you have a fully terminal hair. However when some of these cells decide to die or adopt a state of cell arrest your hair follicle get's smaller.

Anyway that's it in a nutshell. You can basically kinda view androgenetic alopecia like premature aging of the cells. I can only give you one tip furthermore; Try to work with the current treatments we have. The outlook for the coming 10 years is pretty bad to give better options than we have currently. You can come very far with current methods too. Take the matter in your owns hands. Wishing & hoping for better treatments is a joke. Most likely it isn't going to come short-term or mid-term. Good luck!

Sorry swooping in not sure if you've said on this forun before, wbut what is your regime currently? Congrats on the progress