Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Recidive
    • Sep 2014

Theracell, new competitor in the hair regeneration field

Theracell is currently working on the development of a new approach for hair regeneration. This treatment involves the collection of cells found around hair follicles in order to grow them in a lab. This cell-based hair follicle regeneration, is an injectable cell therapy product for hair regeneration through the creation of pre-follicular units, using a specific population of stem cells found in the hair follicle. The procedure is used for the generation of new hair follicles and the activation of existing ones.

The process is as follows:

A small amount of hair follicles (10-20) is collected by the plastic surgeon.
    The samples are transferred to our GMP certified laboratories, where a special type of stem cells that reside within the hair follicle are isolated and cultured for several weeks. The purpose of this stage is to end up with a large amount of cells.
    After the cell expansion stage, the hair follicle stem cells are grown in a 3-D culture, in order to obtain pre-follicular units.
    These pre-follicular units are then injected into the scalp. The scope is to generate new hair follicles and to activate the existing ones.
    The main advantage of the therapy is the fact that it is a minimally invasive and virtually painless technique.
  • Gerhard
    • Jan 2015

I love seeing more companies enter the fray. More companies means more work and more work means more competition and more competition means harder work. I like that. I hope these guys have some fruitful endeavors.

Comment

• ejj
      • Dec 2010

I think it`s hilarious, how the marketing departments name these new products. The new names always contain a `cell` in them. They probably back this new product up with the old line `available in 5 years`. From my own experience with #cell, I would not go anywhere near this, or any other similar product! Buyer beware!

ej

Comment

• Gerhard
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by ejj
        I think it`s hilarious, how the marketing departments name these new products. The new names always contain a `cell` in them. They probably back this new product up with the old line `available in 5 years`. From my own experience with #cell, I would not go anywhere near this, or any other similar product! Buyer beware!

ej
        What would you like the cell based therapies to be called instead? Seems pretty understandable that they have that in their name. Berating the efficacy of a treatment based on an industry's name is beyond the realm of skeptical and into the realm of bitter. I'm not saying this product will work or that it isn't a bust. What I am saying is that you should just wait and see.

Comment

• ejj
          • Dec 2010

Gerhard,

I am sorry if you think I am berating it upon its name, this is not the case. I am merely poking fun at this latest attempt to decieve hair loss sufferers that the holy grail is just around the corner. I agree re waiting and seeing, and I would strongly advise anyone against being the `test pilot` for anything new.

I find there treatments for kidney regeneration, and cancer treatment much more interesting

Best

ej

Comment

• Swooping
            • May 2014

Wow. Freaking' awesome. AGA will be a no-factor within 5 years guys I suppose if this continues. Especially with follicept in the game now. Completely agree with Gerhard that we should always welcome more players. The market seems to be really getting loaded lately which is a good thing. #BELIEVE.

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by swooping
              #believe.
              lol yes

Comment

• ejj
                • Dec 2010

I have every confidence this company can end baldness with stem cell therapy, regenerate kidneys, and cure cancer, after all the company is based in the economic power house that is Greece.

Comment

• hellouser
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by ejj
                  I have every confidence this company can end baldness with stem cell therapy, regenerate kidneys, and cure cancer, after all the company is based in the economic power house that is Greece.
                  Bahahaha!!!

Although, suppose greece opened up its doors for stem cell therapy... it would bring in some serious cash for them. Think about it:

Vacation in Greece and money spent no a hair loss treatment? Yeah, I'm down for that.

Comment

• sdsurfin
                    • Sep 2013

Wow you are all some bitter sarcastic mother****ers. The fact that it's in greece is funny, but someone is going to make new follicles in a similar fashion at one point or another. This has been in the works for a long time, and it won't be long. The japanese completed a whole bunch of studies with human follicles in mice this year that showed DP and DSC cells together can repair a follicle. Cell based treatments are where it's at.

Comment

• ejj
                      • Dec 2010

Not bitter, not sarcastic, and no need to end my sentence with an expletive. I prefer to go through life with my eyes open and am not naive.

I disagree with you, nobody ever will make `new follicles` it is an impossibility, imagine some company saying they are going to create `human teeth` sounds ridiculous does`nt it? Bald men are desperate men simple as that!

Comment

• sdsurfin
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ejj
                        Not bitter, not sarcastic, and no need to end my sentence with an expletive. I prefer to go through life with my eyes open and am not naive.

I disagree with you, nobody ever will make `new follicles` it is an impossibility, imagine some company saying they are going to create `human teeth` sounds ridiculous does`nt it? Bald men are desperate men simple as that!
                        ejj have you been in a cave or something? This year they created a vagina from scratch. And last year a set of lungs. people have already made small new follicles (human) in germany and japan. In japan they grew an entirely new mouse tooth from scratch. They are working on making human hearts from scratch. You sound like you are from the 1920's. New teeth will be one of the first things to be made actually. the stem cells in teeth are some of the most potent. And vis a vis the sarcasm I wasn't talking about you.

Comment

• sdsurfin
                          • Sep 2013

"Theracell is a biotechnology company in the UK, with a subsidiary in Greece, with a focus on cell therapies, regenerative medicine and molecular diagnostics. "

This company is not run by hacks. It's a UK company and my guess is that they have a subsidiary in greece because the stem cell laws are more lax there, and they can do things cheaper.

Comment

• sdsurfin
                            • Sep 2013

Researchers say hybrid of human gum cells and mouse stem cells raises possibility of growing new teeth on patient's jaw

growing teeth is not far off either.

the problem with these technologies is that they are probably 20-30 years off from being perfected and not 5. for most balding people thats a long time. With hair it might come sooner though, since we might not need to regrow a whole follicle to revive existing ones. If replicel's approach works it'll basically be like making new follicles for those who are not yet totally bald.

Comment

• ejj
                              • Dec 2010

Those bald mice must be pretty cold in Winter.

I like the Scientists and researchers who shave a perfectly good, furry mice down to the bone, inject them with a substance called something like `mousecell` and `wallah` the mouse all of a sudden reverts back to the hairy state it was prior! miraculous!

I feel sorry for those to desperate to ignore the warning signs, of which there are many. I wonder what happened to that poor guy who went to india for stem cell injections and all his lymph nodes became swollen for months!

Comment

Working...