+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hey everyone,
    My name is James, a 44 yr old male from NY and new to the site. I will try to condense my story to the pertinent facts. My first notice of hair loss started at around age 23. It started to thin around the temples and frontal hairline. Needless to say, it sent me into a state of panic. It also did not help that my "friends" and family started to notice and were not shy about telling me. I am and have allways been on the vain side and as you can imagine this unwanted crisis in my life was crushing.
    It was aroung this time that I started researching the treatments that were available in the early nineties. I could give you a laundry list of things I tried but I will sum it up by saying I used everything from Rogaine to actually, for a time, rubbing Tabasco sauce on my scalp all in the hopes of arresting this malady.
    Eventually I realized I had to take more drastic measures to return me to my previous thick mane. I decided that I will have to do something "natural" and not have anything artificial. So I visited with a doctor who performed hair transplants. Now recognize, that at this point I was in full fledged panic mode and any hope of producing results was nirvana. I decided to go ahead with the surgery. This particular doctor cut the donor hair from the back of my scalp (there are two scars there now)and transplanted them to the frontal hairline in two sessions over a three month period.
    I will never forget the moment that I knew I made a tragic mistake. Upon leaving the doctors office on the final session, he said something to the effect of "when you get more grafts done"to which I replied "did you say if or when?" and he looked at me with a knowing smile and said "when". It was this defining moment that I knew I had been sold a bill of goods that I either misunderstood or did not want to understand. You see, when people are not thinking clearly they can become victims of doctors who take advantage of their vulnerable state. But I do own my decision and live with the consequences every day.
    Fast forward six months when the transplants were supposed to be fully grown. I would say the results were modest at best. During this period when the new hair was growing in- my hair loss continued its intended course.Due to my dissatisfaction with the results, my next step was researching Hair replacements because I did not want to go through never ending surgeries until the hair loss cycle had completed.
    If you follow Spencers show you know that this is the all too common trap young men fall into because of false hopes, misinformation, and hasty decisions. I have been using hair replacements since 1993. I could tell you stories both funny and horrifying. To say that it has been a long journey that has taken many twists and turns is and understatement. My life course was permanently changed when I sought help for my hair loss. I will be posting regularly on the non-surgical blog to hear others peoples stories and hopefully help to put and end to the unnecesary suffering from a condition that affects both men and women of all ages.

Sincerely,
    NYJames 2009

Smile

Your story sound like a lot of guys around here. I’m a long time listener of Spencer Kobren’s show and if it were not for him I might be in the same position. Thanks for sharing your story and welcome.
    You can read my story here
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=435

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Your story sound like a lot of guys around here. I’m a long time listener of Spencer Kobren’s show and if it were not for him I might be in the same position. Thanks for sharing your story and welcome.
    You can read my story here
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=435
    Hey Zao-thanks for welcoming me to the site.I look forward to corresponding with the people in here.
    NYJames

Thumbs up

You’re welcome. It sounds like you have a lot of experience to pass on.