+ Reply to Thread

Default From FIN to DUT - How to get Blood Test UK?

Hi. I'm 23, male, UK.

I've been on finasteride for around two years, but decided to switch to dutasteride last week.

Since then, it seems as if my hairline has become much thinner, receding more into a widow's peak. I'm worried the dutagen I switched to (bought from inhousepharmacy) might be fake/weak. However I'm also aware that I could be being paranoid and that the finasteride would probably still be in affect in my system from a week earlier.

Anyway. I'm in the UK and want to know how I can check if my dutagen is legit;

Firstly - how do I go about getting a blood test to check my DHT/testosterone levels; what do I say to my GP? I've been previously regarding MPB aged 18 and he dismissed me, told me to 'get over it... it happens to everyone' (etc.) however I've a new, younger GP I'm hopeful will be more receptive.

Secondly - how long do I need to wait for the fin to be out of my system, so that the results show the effectiveness of the dutagen?

Any replies would be helpful

Firstly why the switch? If fin was working then I don't think you should have. If fin was ineffective then I can understand the change. You may be experiencing a shed from changing the medication, this can happen when you do make such a change. You would be unlikely to see a difference of loosing more hairs to DHT in a week so more than likely a shed.

The fin should be out your system within 48 to 72 hrs. It's unlikely you will get a blood test from the NHS for DHT and test levels unless you make a nuisance of yourself. You could go privately and find a clinic that would be willing to a blood test to see your levels not sure how much you would pay though.

Quote Originally Posted by garageland View Post
    Firstly why the switch? If fin was working then I don't think you should have. If fin was ineffective then I can understand the change. You may be experiencing a shed from changing the medication, this can happen when you do make such a change. You would be unlikely to see a difference of loosing more hairs to DHT in a week so more than likely a shed.

The fin should be out your system within 48 to 72 hrs. It's unlikely you will get a blood test from the NHS for DHT and test levels unless you make a nuisance of yourself. You could go privately and find a clinic that would be willing to a blood test to see your levels not sure how much you would pay though.
    Firstly, thanks for the reply.

The fin worked but I was still receding and thinning, albeit more gradually.

After a lot of research I decided the switch would be worthwhile as it does what fin does only better. I'd also seen that in peer-reviewed medical lit. duta hadn't been shown to be any more dangerous and that the majority of trials had stopped due to the market success of fin.

The NHS have a duty of care; therefore if I express concern about TRT/hormone levels it's their commitment as medical practitioners to pursue it to ensure my health.

However, hypothetically; as I've been off fin for a week now, if the dutasteride I've bought is fake (ineffective) when will I notice the effects of the legit fin wearing off (ie.) the lose of fin protected follicles?

So... if I'm experiencing a shed, it can't be my lack of legit fin or the introduction of possibly fake duta this soon? (I'm simply trying to rule out my dutagen being fake)