+ Reply to Thread

Default taking the plunge!

Hi folks, I've had hair loss since the last 15 years (current age 37) and have been waiting for technology to advance to such a level that i would just go in for it at some stage to get my full head of hair back!

Recently read some news around stem cell which is encouraging but i was now in a stage to just get started with treatments since the hair loss had truely become alarming with clear balding patches visible.

To give you a background, my hair loss is genetic and my younger brother is almost bald though I still have "some'" hair left. In the initial years i did try minoxidil liquid everyday for six months by applying it to my hair every night, but there was no effect. I myself wasn't convinced how a liquid, or any fancy oil, helps stop hair fall when it is just 'applied' and not 'ingested' into the body. I then did no treatments though was frequently keeping a tab on the evolution of hair transplant and the progress.

But as mentioned above, my hair loss was now being 'very' visible and i had thought of getting an appointment with renowned hair transplant surgeons in NY. While going through some of the forums, i read that any surgeon would put the patient on propecia/finasteride initially for 3-6 months before doing the transplant and even after the transplant. After doing lot of research of propecia, usually scary ones which mention about severe side affects, I decided to take the plunge and put my faith in a known doctor AND FDA which has approved the med.

It has been a week now since i am taking fin (1mg) and biotin every night and so far there are no side affects etc. Infact, amazingly, since yesterday, whenever i run my comb or my fingers through my hair, i don't see any hair in my hands or the comb! 9 times out of 10, i used to have hair on my comb or fingers but now, 9 times out of 10, i don't see any!! Just might be luck though, i was browsing sites to check how long fin takes effect but i believe it usually takes 3 months to 1 year to see any tangible effects. Anyways, just seeing no hair has given me such a boost!

Not sure whether i will be a part of that small % of fin takers who get side affects going forward, but so far so good. Guess, it also depends on individuals who have some probs prior to taking fin which aggravates when they take fin. As for me, I am 24/7 erect and still am

I am attaching some pics of my current state of baldness and would hope, and love, to have a before - after success story!! If not, then do advise which doctor should I visit to get a transplant, FUE pref?

Just penned down my experience since hair loss forums have really helped me knowing the truth out there so thought let me do the same for others too!

Cheers! Click image for larger version

Name:	hair_1.jpg

Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	37504Click image for larger version

Name:	hair_2.jpg

Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	37505Click image for larger version

Name:	hair_21 feb.jpg

Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	37506

Your story is similar to mine. I started losing my hair around 22. By my mid 20's I was a NW3 and decided to start buzzing my head. I finally started treating my hair loss at 36 when I found out it was really bad. I hit it with the big 3. I am 38 now and a NW3v. I also waited years for better treatments. I knew about Rogaine but it never really seemed like a great option to me.

As far as fin goes, the only sides I had was a slight ball ache during the first few weeks. Nothing since, but regrowth. I would say give it at least a year before you get a transplant.

encouraging to know about regrowth mate!