+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Need Verification: Am I balding? Currently 21 years old Asian

Please help. Im getting really paranoid.

THERE IS NO HISTORY of balding in both my father and mother sides. This includes my aunts, uncles and grandparents. Someone help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-18 17.30.46.jpg

Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	37495   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-15 19.47.49.jpg

Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	37496   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-26 09.48.57.jpg

Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	37497   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-18 16.17.26.jpg

Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	37498  

yes,u r balding.medication is the best option for u.r u indian???

Nope. I am Chinese. But I dont understand because there hasn't been any history of people balding in my family? Why the sudden onset? O.o

Quote Originally Posted by presarian View Post
    But I dont understand because there hasn't been any history of people balding in my family? Why the sudden onset? O.o
    None what so ever? None on your mother or father side? It does seem very strange... it could be some slickness like alopecia.
    You haven't always had this sort of hair, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    None what so ever? None on your mother or father side? It does seem very strange... it could be some slickness like alopecia.
    You haven't always had this sort of hair, right?
    Yup none so whatever. I really dont know why though. But I am going to a derm in 2 months time to get it checked out so maybe they will know?

Well, it has been like this one year ago and one year later, it is still the same?
    But 5 years ago my crown wasnt that big but it was still big/

So it did not really detiorate that much. I was wondering could it just be that I have thin hair?

Yup none so whatever. I really dont know why though. But I am going to a derm in 2 months time to get it checked out so maybe they will know?

Well, it has been like this one year ago and one year later, it is still the same?
    But 5 years ago my crown wasnt that big but it was still big/

So it did not really detiorate that much. I was wondering could it just be that I have thin hair?
    Too me, especially on picture 2 it really does look like you are losing. It's not thin hair in the context that the hairs themselves are thin, it's thin in the way that you have few hairs there.
    It looks to be about 9-11 cm in diameter where you have significantly less hair density, that's quite an area. You say that 5 years ago your crown wasn't that big, while still big, so you have always a crown? Very strange...

If the derma doesn't figure anything out there is always dna test, saying this half jokingly^^

Regardless, I don't recommend any drugs, several people on the forum does without mentioning side effects, which is the reason why I don't recommend or advocate any of them.
    Propecia/Finastride is a drug that inhibits testosterone to convert into dihydrotestosterone which has been linked with hair loss, this drug can give some density back and keep what you have. However, a quite common side effect is drop in sexual libido. Several have reported drop in sexual sensation even after just one pill, an effect that some have reported to continue after discontinuation of the drug, same got for erectile dysfunction so it is quite a serious drug..

Minoxidil is another one, as far as I know it works by drying out the scalp so less dihydrotestosterone gets to the follicles. It causes wrinkles, easy to get sunburned, irritation of the skin. But it does increase density and quality of the hairs usually. However, the effect seems to be temporary. After ~2years or so you lose the effect and will lose hair quicker than ever.

If you don't lose any more hair, I'd save up for a hair transplant...

Ah Trend,

Thanks for the insights and reply. Well What I mean is that my hair has been the same for a year now so who knows? Maybe it wont deteriorate or maybe it would?

And thanks for the insights about fin and minoxdil. I read cases about the side effects but never really got to know how many people suffer the side effects? I dont really want to find out myself though. I did give this question a thought and if I really am going towards the path of losing hair, I wont be taking the drugs.

Whatever, I mean im gonna heck it and probably just shave everything off and maybe get a tattoo on my head or something HAHA.

But as of now, I hope the derm says its a malnutrition deficieny or something because I suspect that's the reason I am losing hair. We will see! Regardless, thanks for the reply!

Whatever, I mean im gonna heck it and probably just shave everything off
    It does look like you are balding. If you can just shave it and move on then that should be option #1. I would recommend you try that first and see if you can deal with your new look. If you can't deal with it then at least you know you have treatment options available. I am on the big 3 and I haven't have any of the negative sides. I have had regrowth even though I jumped on fin very late. The choice should be yours and everybody will always have a good case why you should use the drug or why you shouldn't, but they are not you. You need to do what is best for you and you only.

Ah I see. But do correct me if I am wrong. If you were to start going on the medications, it would be for life right? The moment you stop you lose your hair again?

Also, I heard that it is Costly. So yeah :/

Ah yes if you start med and wish to keep what you would have lost then yes you will have to keep using meds. if you really wish to treat your hairloss then price really is not an excuse not to. I am paying $8/month for fin. hardly breaking the bank.

But like I said in my previous post, shave your head and see if you can deal with your new look. If you can deal with it you win.