+ Reply to Thread

Default 25 years old. Prostate questions. Side effects. Receding hairline.

I'm 25 and my hairline has started to recede. I went to a hair loss trichologist and was told one of their treatments was "Neways prostate health". I was told it will reduce DHT and blah blah blah. I have a few concerns:
    Am I too young to take medicine like Neways prostate health or finiastride?
    If I reduce my prostate size will my penis reduce in size? Or is it only a very very small percentage that it will? And loss of sex drive?
    Will it effect my weight and muscle growth?

The trichologist said "neways prostate health" had no side effects but they are trying to sell a product so I thought I would ask on the forums to see what you guys think.

It's likely that your erections will be weaker with a weaker prostate. Several on this forum, and others that has been in media has gotten irreversible impotence. Others get permanent sensitivity loss, a loss in libido is also quite normal. Ejaculation disorder. Several of these persist after discontinuation of the drug.

Ironically, the drug has gotten a warning to 5α-reductase inhibitors concerning an increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer, as the treatment of BPH lowers PSA, which could mask the development of prostate cancer. But available evidence does not provide clarity as to whether there is a causative relationship between finasteride and these cancers.

It might affect your capabilities to put on muscle slightly, tho it is normal for the testosterone levels to increase as it no longer converts to dihydrotestosterone.

I don't recommend anyone to take drugs to keep their hair. I as far as I understood they got a lot of side effects, and the milder ones are temporary.
    There is hair transplant and in the future stem cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    There is hair transplant and in the future stem cells.
    For most getting a hair transplant without using finasteride is a major waste of time and money. So basically you are saying to do absolutely nothing and embrace going bald until we get a treatment that is 100% safe?

yeah what are you saying.. i took fin and i can notice my "member" not being or getting as hard. and not geting as excited as off it. It's somethign i would take on and off, but i wouldnt' take it for a long periods of time..

i am off now and everything is back to normal!

I am not saying and have never said that you can't get sides while taking fin. What I have said is that clinical trials show that most that take it will not get sides. I take fin and don't have sides and am having regrowth. If you got sides, then I understand why you stopped taking it. I would too. The fact still doesn't change if you are losing hair and don't treat it you will continue to lose even if you have a transplant.

The side effects are often exaggerated on the forums and there's likely a serious psychosomatic component to it. That's doesn't mean people don't get them, but they don't occur nearly as often as people purport them to be. I take dutasteride 2-3X/wk and my erections and libido haven't changed. The ejaculate volume hasn't really changed either, at least not drastically. Your penis will not shrink. Once you've been through puberty, its not really going anywhere. The prostate may shrink slightly, hence the potential decrease in semen volume, but again I haven't noticed this at all. Finally, avoid taking medications that haven't been evaluated by the FDA, you might as well put that money towards finasteride/dutasteride and get something that will actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    For most getting a hair transplant without using finasteride is a major waste of time and money. So basically you are saying to do absolutely nothing and embrace going bald until we get a treatment that is 100% safe?
    I do not advocate drugs with serious side effects. Several have documented it to be irreversible. I want to make sure they are gambling with their sexual sensation and libido potentially for the rest of their lives. Some people think that's worth it, and I don't mind them going on this drug being well informed of the risks, I do however not recommend it.

Embrace and do nothing is not at all what I am saying. To embrace is to show affection, enthusiasm etc. I haven't told anyone to be happy about their hair loss. I advocate getting educated on the subject to make informal decisions.

Many people don't need to go on drugs, be it they won't have much decrease in appearance in their own view or their loss can be partly or completely countered through hair transplants.

A treatment do not need to be "100% safe" as in no side effects, but I won't advocate for a drug, as I said, with serious side effects, that some have documented to be irreversible. There is a difference between a drug that potentially could give you a headache that goes away as you discontinue the use of medication and irreversible side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    I do not advocate drugs with serious side effects. Several have documented it to be irreversible. I want to make sure they are gambling with their sexual sensation and libido potentially for the rest of their lives. Some people think that's worth it, and I don't mind them going on this drug being well informed of the risks, I do however not recommend it.

Embrace and do nothing is not at all what I am saying. To embrace is to show affection, enthusiasm etc. I haven't told anyone to be happy about their hair loss. I advocate getting educated on the subject to make informal decisions.

Many people don't need to go on drugs, be it they won't have much decrease in appearance in their own view or their loss can be partly or completely countered through hair transplants.

A treatment do not need to be "100% safe" as in no side effects, but I won't advocate for a drug, as I said, with serious side effects, that some have documented to be irreversible. There is a difference between a drug that potentially could give you a headache that goes away as you discontinue the use of medication and irreversible side effects.

I get what you are saying about not recommending drugs that have the potential to cause harm. I am definitely not pro drug at all. I hate the fact that I need to take a drug to have a chance to keep my hair, but that is my reality at this point in time. You are right though, there is a risk. It was a risk I was willing to take and I am happy I did as I was approaching NW6 at top speed. My hair isn't anywhere near perfect, but I at least still have hair on my head that I can style.

I used the word embrace as in acceptance, which exactly what you need to do if you are going to let your hair loss go untreated. For many of us the balding just doesn't stop at NW2 or NW3, it continues to progress and trying to play catch up with transplants is a costly and losing battle.

I get your stance on drugs and for the most part I agree with you. I am definitely not pro drug at all. I have mentioned many times that I hate the fact that I need to take a drug to keep my hair, but that is my currently reality. I am not in a position where I can sit back and wait for some "safe" treatment to become available. If it does, believe me I will not hesitate to jump on it, but I will not be holding my breath till that day comes. If you or anybody else is in a position where the current options are not worth the risk, then that is fine, we all need to make our own decisions. I just hate to see the guys come to the forums as advanced norwoods that are now ready to give treatments a try after putting off treating their hair loss because of fear of sides or hope for better treatment options.