+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by lukey View Post
    Slight stinging for 5-10 mins after applying but certainly nothing to make me feel like I want to stop using. Skin is quite red where it has been applied but it looks a lot worse than what it feels. Might be the Azelaic acid but it's only 1.5%. I think my hairline has shed but looking at photos the redness on my hairline where I have applied it makes it difficult to tell.
    this concerns me, as I have cut my hair very very very short, and i wouldn't want to draw more attention to my balding scalp.

how long does the redness go away? did you address your concern with the pharmacist?

I actually don't think the side effects I had were coming from the minox compound i made, but rather, the saw palmetto in the shampoo. I stopped using the shampoo and now I have no sides..or maybe my body just adjusted quickly. I don't know..but they were very real, but nowhere near as bad as the oral fin sides I had..those were horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by warner8 View Post
    this concerns me, as I have cut my hair very very very short, and i wouldn't want to draw more attention to my balding scalp.

how long does the redness go away? did you address your concern with the pharmacist?

Oh right, that may be an issue if it were to happen with you. I'm yet to speak to the pharmacist about it as Jazz warned me it might irritate to start with, I think I'll leave it a few more weeks and see how it goes. As I said it really does'nt irritate much, it looks a lot worse that what it is. Kirkland Minox was far worse for me as that stuff started to itch really bad after a few months and used to flake a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lukey View Post
    Oh right, that may be an issue if it were to happen with you. I'm yet to speak to the pharmacist about it as Jazz warned me it might irritate to start with, I think I'll leave it a few more weeks and see how it goes. As I said it really does'nt irritate much, it looks a lot worse that what it is. Kirkland Minox was far worse for me as that stuff started to itch really bad after a few months and used to flake a lot.
    do you think the redness is from the acid or the retinol?

Quote Originally Posted by warner8 View Post
    do you think the redness is from the acid or the retinol?
    Sorry mate I have no idea, I haven't applied either of them before so there's no way of telling.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    I actually don't think the side effects I had were coming from the minox compound i made, but rather, the saw palmetto in the shampoo. I stopped using the shampoo and now I have no sides..or maybe my body just adjusted quickly. I don't know..but they were very real, but nowhere near as bad as the oral fin sides I had..those were horrific.
    What shampoo were you using? I've switched to regenepure which has saw palmetto but can't say I've noticed any difference in terms of sides. I've actually emailed them to see how much they put in, can't imagine it will be that much, hopefully they get back to me.

so I've been using minox for 3 years..didn't really do anything for me that i noticed but i kept using it..now I'm using this formulation and shedding like crazy and I have some scalp irritation. do you guys think this is a good or bad sign? have you experienced this?

So I'm from the US and in 2013 I lived in Kathmandu, Nepal. While there I picked up a product that uses this combination of azelaic acid, tretinoin and 5% minoxidil. Its called Minokem. I use Rogain foam once in the morning and the minokem drip that I brought back to the US at night. The minokem ingredients tend to burn a bit so I dont like to use it more than once per day. I'm not sure if its the azelaic acid or what causes the slight burn.

Anyway, I seem to be having luck. My full regimen is finesteride every other day, Rogain in the morning and Minokem before bed. Once every three days I wash my hair (according the the bottle directions) with Nizoral 1%.

I may continue to use the Minokem and have someone ship it to me. It's so cheap in Nepal. Like 6 bucks a bottle..