+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Addicted to Minox, I need HELP!

Guys,

What I apply: :
    Rogaine Foam 5% (at first from eBay but now from local pharmacy). Still considering going back to eBay because it's way cheaper for me since I live in Canada.

Where I apply: :
    1/4 cap on right temple
    1/4 cap on left temple
    1/8 cap on front
    1/4 cap top
    1/2 cap vertex
    1/4 cap on right side
    1/4 cap on left side

This is the equivalent of almost 2 full caps per application. I apply on the tip of my fingers and then gently rub it in my scalp. The whole process takes 5-6 minutes.

I'm an NW2 (considerable thinning in temple region and mildly all over sides, top and vertex), with thick and semi-long hair in the hair loss areas and short sides. It's impossible for me to get the recommended "1/2 cap of foam per application", it would never reach all the intended scalp areas and would get caught up in my hair every time. That's why I'm applying this much.

How many times I apply: :
    Every 12 hours. I rinse my hair and semi-dry it before application unless I'm coming out of a shower in which case I would also semi-dry it before application.

How long have I had this regimen: :
    3 months, I used to use apply can per 2 weeks for 2 months but now I've been using a can per week for 3 weeks.

Side effects: :
    Not really, I used to have redness on my forehead but not anymore. It would pop up occasionally but would go away minutes later.

Results: :
    Yeah, definitely thickened the left temple, right side and vertex. Can't say much about the rest. I am also on 0.5mg Fin (daily), Nizoral 2% (twice per week) and Regenepure (rest of the nights) so I have no clue which one is working in which area.

Concerns: :
    Am I doing anything wrong?
    Is it dangerous if all the used Minox actually DOES reach my scalp (which I seriously doubt)?
    Would it make it less effective?

I'm also thinking of switching to liquid for better penetration for the top and vertex only, but the PPG and greasy look freak me out.
    Could I use both vehicles in the same application in different areas of the scalp?

Anyone?

Let me make this WAY easier for you.

Fill up the cap with foam and dunk it up to the rim in hot water in your sink. When it melts, draw up the liquid in a dropper (I use the dropper from an old liquid minox bottle). You should get between 1.5 - 2 mL of liquid for 1 cap full of foam. Then, apply this liquid to the areas of scalp which are thinning. If you need to, repeat this process with another application.

This will speed up your application time drastically and makes things more efficient in general. You'll notice less of the minoxidil gets in your hair and a LOT more makes it to your scalp. This means you probably don't need to use as much minoxidil if you do it this way. Cheers and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgerard View Post
    Let me make this WAY easier for you.

Fill up the cap with foam and dunk it up to the rim in hot water in your sink. When it melts, draw up the liquid in a dropper (I use the dropper from an old liquid minox bottle). You should get between 1.5 - 2 mL of liquid for 1 cap full of foam. Then, apply this liquid to the areas of scalp which are thinning. If you need to, repeat this process with another application.

This will speed up your application time drastically and makes things more efficient in general. You'll notice less of the minoxidil gets in your hair and a LOT more makes it to your scalp. This means you probably don't need to use as much minoxidil if you do it this way. Cheers and good luck!
    Thanks a bunch man, that's a great idea! So you do this because it irritates your scalp less than the liquid I guess...?

One thing though, I wonder if the water doesn't mess with the absorption characteristics of the foam's vehicle?!

Also, you do it on dry hair I guess?

I should make things clearer. Do NOT let the hot water spill over into the foam inside the cap. Just let the heat from the water surround the cap and melt the foam inside into a liquid. In fact, you could probably use a hair drier or a hot bedside lamp to melt the foam into a liquid inside the cap too. I've used a hot lamp before and it melts just fine. Whatever gets the foam into a liquid format. And yes, I apply minoxidil once per day at night with dry hair.

I started using the foam because the PPG in the liquid minoxidil gave me a horrible scalp reaction. Incredible dandruff, itching, and shedding to be exact. When I switched to foam I realised that I was wasting a lot by putting the foam first into my hands and then onto my scalp... I felt that not enough was getting to my scalp. I have been using the foam melting technique for a while and I think it really helps speed up the application time and makes the minoxidil more effective since more of it reaches your scalp! I also no longer suffer from the scalp condition that liquid minox caused.