+ Reply to Thread

Default Surgery big question.....

Im new to the site to I would imagine the question has been asked a million time, but how expensive does hair surgery get.

For years I have contemplated surgery but when I see the newspapers of celebs paying 30k plus it has really put me off.

Is surgery really a valid option for the average guy working a 9-5.

Thanks for any help

I don't know much at all about hair transplantation, but I'd imagine the cost would depend on 1) how much hair needs to be transplanted, 2) the expertise of the doctor

I agree that some of the prices which I've read that people have paid seem ridiculous, especially when the final outcome of their surgery hardly makes a difference. I've seen some after photos from guys who paid upwards of $10,000 for their surgery, and the final result is barely noticeable, but I've also seen some really good ones too, so I guess it depends on the doctor and the patient.

Fair question. Those guys you see in the papers like Rooney et al, they paid a premium because they were charged a premium due to their name and/or status. The average guy on the street isn't going to be charged the same. There are also instances where the fee is mentioned but in reality the celebrity was not charged a dime in exchange for use of their image and name. This is part of the quest by many doctors to pull in the big fish that will in turn pull in more clients that will sell their right arm to get the money for an appointment. In reality, there are clinics that do fine work that will be happy to work with you on price and their are also clinics that do fine work that charge a more palatable fee to begin with. You just have to take the time to find them.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Can be really expensive in North America versus Turkey, Europe, other countries?

This is also taking into the fact that cheaper clinics may have more doctor involvement in extractions, manual fue, and just one procedure a day.

Ask yourself what you should pay for? Doctor involvement? Robot involvement? Motorized involvement? Technician involvement? Quick and one day large procedure? Short and multiple day procedures to maximize yield? Etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Can be really expensive in North America versus Turkey, Europe, other countries?

This is also taking into the fact that cheaper clinics may have more doctor involvement in extractions, manual fue, and just one procedure a day.

Ask yourself what you should pay for? Doctor involvement? Robot involvement? Motorized involvement? Technician involvement? Quick and one day large procedure? Short and multiple day procedures to maximize yield? Etc etc
    And many of the cheaper clinics have zero doctor involvement at all, maybe except to draw a hairline and to sign the final surgical report.

What one should pay for is what they are comfortable with. If they don't mind that mainly techs do the work and they like the body of results from such an approach, the so be it. If they prefer a more hands on approach by the doctor then that too is a logical and sound approach. I've seen great results from both approaches and it all comes down to what the patient is comfortable with and if there is consistency to back up the approach of the clinic they are considering.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    And many of the cheaper clinics have zero doctor involvement at all, maybe except to draw a hairline and to sign the final surgical report.

What one should pay for is what they are comfortable with. If they don't mind that mainly techs do the work and they like the body of results from such an approach, the so be it. If they prefer a more hands on approach by the doctor then that too is a logical and sound approach. I've seen great results from both approaches and it all comes down to what the patient is comfortable with and if there is consistency to back up the approach of the clinic they are considering.
    True, very well be. And a lot of the expensive clinics may operate just the same as them. It depends on region i guess.

The cost of hair transplantation will depend largely on the amount of hair to be transplanted and will vary individually. This is because of the complexity of a hair restoration procedure, and the inherent variability of the intrinsic physical and physiological factors of each individual patient.
    When it comes to making a hair transplant decision, we encourage patients to make your decision not based on the price alone. In fact, getting the patient involved in the details of the surgery, and negotiating the price, is really just to distract you from the more important things such as the experience, background, and training of the actual surgeon (or non-surgeon, as is very often the case) who will be doing your hair restoration surgery.

Remember, cost is not the only factor. Skill is key, as is a place that does restoration on a regular basis vs just a half dozen cases a month or less. Go with a surgeon who produces consistent results over an extended period of time.