+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Finasteride?

Many guys start off slowly 1MG EOD or .25mg ED. Some have even reported seeing results with these dosages.

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    You could very well be right my friend!
    I feel you should see your doctor on this though.
    That is if in fact your doctor is the one who prescribed it for you.
    Is that the case?
    Yeah a dermatologist prescribed it for me. I have been taking roaccutane for past 4 months too for acne and have another 2 months left so maybe this has been causing the recent thinning?

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hi Receding87 , I just looked up the possible side effects from using roaccutane.
    Hair loss is mentioned on that long list of possibilities .

Since my hairloss is not severe yet, do you think that I could get away with taking .25mg fin

Hi Eric' I'm not sure.. Hey Notcoolanymore - what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Hi Receding87 and WELCOME to our forum!
    Stick around with us because there are plenty of members here that WILL give you the best advice.
    I decided to do a little research so that my response to you would be complete along with my own personal ONGOING experience in using Finasteride.

Your hair is more than likely, undergoing a process called shedding and it is perfectly normal in the first few months of using Finasteride.
    It does not mean that your body is not responding to Finasteride or that the medication is causing an opposite effect.
    Shedding , for SOME, has to occur in order for your new hair to grow.
    I personally did not notice any shedding but there may have been a % of shedding that I had not noticed.
    The way Finasteride works, as I understand it to be, is that it stops your current growth cycle and starts a new healthier cycle.
    Therefore, the hair strand that is in the middle of a growth cycle will fall out and will later be replaced by a new stronger hair strand.
    The fact that your hair is actually shedding shows that your follicles are quite possibly responding to Finasteride.
    A misconception about shedding is that you are losing more hair.
    This is in fact not true in most cases.
    Yes you are losing hair strands but they will soon be replaced by stronger, healthier hair strands.
    There is no need to panic because this apparent "hair loss" will eventually be replaced.
    Usually, shedding should stop after the first three months of treatment.
    However, this can and DOES VARY from male to male as generic Finasteride or Propecia has different effects depending on the individual using it.
    "By six months of treatment, shedding should have completely stopped".
    If the shedding has not fully stopped after 6 months then feel free to consult your doctor RIGHT AWAY.
    Usually you will need to wait at least a year to determine whether this type of treatment is working correctly.

Receding87, again, do not panic (dont know if you were) . Also when you take that medication take it as you would take your daily multivitamins, take it and do not think about it.

Very informatiive and supportive post, Artista. Good job.

You may be able to get away with 0.25mg/d, however, taking the full dose will yield the best results.

Quote Originally Posted by receding87 View Post
    Yeah a dermatologist prescribed it for me. I have been taking roaccutane for past 4 months too for acne and have another 2 months left so maybe this has been causing the recent thinning?
    Hei Receding87, I agree with Artista, Roaccutane is the possible cause of your recent hair shedding. It could be caused due to an inapropriate dosage (usually high dosage). Consult your dermatologist in this regard.
    And, don't worry, in such cases the hair growth usually returns to normal when the treatment is over.

RanDave, great to hear from you my friend and thank you for your support on the advice given!

Hey Receding87~ I too agree with RanDave's advice -
    "...don't worry, in such cases the hair growth usually returns to normal when the treatment is over".

Cant wait to hear back from you again Receding' --I hope you arent getting stressed out over your recent shedding.
    There is no reason to be bro.

We are glad that you have joined this forum.
    Hi Notcoolanymore ...How are you doing today bro?
    Wanted to tell you this, (ill also post on my 'Artista and Finasteride' thread) recently speaking, my hair looks to have so much more DENSITY now.
    When I wake up in my morning while in the bathroom then looking in the mirror, my hair's volume appears so much better.
    Its looking better! (Im pleasantly surprised)
    Now I am not trying to say that I have a full head of hair--lol. Of course not.
    My hair's realistic improvements from taking 1mg per day of Finasteride IS happening with NO bad side-effects.
    Ive been on Finasteride 1mg per day for 19 months now.

I believed before I started treatment that many of the side effects were from the placebo effect. Ive been on RU for a year and started Finasteride almost a month ago, I have not seen ANY sides but have seen noticeable regrowth. Don't buy into the hype, most guys go through phases where they are afraid of having ED, thus causing ED. There were people in Fin's placebo study that reported sexual sides.