+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Finasteride?

Quote Originally Posted by austen View Post
    There are less evidences that generic propecia or finasteride have any side effects. You can use generic propecia 5mg along with minoxidil lotion for 2 to 3 months to regrow your hair.
    Actually it could take a little bit more than 2-3 months to see the results, however it is worth trying.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

RanDave , good response here.

I started using GENERIC Finasteride (Dr Reddys) back in August 2013.
    Approx 3-4 months after beginning it, my wife and I could see a change starting to happen.
    As i have said many times now, I am experiencing NO major bad side-effects from its use to this day
    (now 19 months on it)

HI Guys im new here. basically i have been on 1.25mg daily finasteride for 12 months and without a doubt in the past 2 months my receding hairline has gotten thinner and further up. My crown and middle head hair is very thick aleways has been. Just wondering could i possibly be going through a shed at 11-12months. the weird thing is i am not finding many hairs when i shower etc like i used to pre fin.

I am on dut with no side effect.

Hi Receding87 and WELCOME to our forum!
    Stick around with us because there are plenty of members here that WILL give you the best advice.
    I decided to do a little research so that my response to you would be complete along with my own personal ONGOING experience in using Finasteride.

Your hair is more than likely, undergoing a process called shedding and it is perfectly normal in the first few months of using Finasteride.
    It does not mean that your body is not responding to Finasteride or that the medication is causing an opposite effect.
    Shedding , for SOME, has to occur in order for your new hair to grow.
    I personally did not notice any shedding but there may have been a % of shedding that I had not noticed.
    The way Finasteride works, as I understand it to be, is that it stops your current growth cycle and starts a new healthier cycle.
    Therefore, the hair strand that is in the middle of a growth cycle will fall out and will later be replaced by a new stronger hair strand.
    The fact that your hair is actually shedding shows that your follicles are quite possibly responding to Finasteride.
    A misconception about shedding is that you are losing more hair.
    This is in fact not true in most cases.
    Yes you are losing hair strands but they will soon be replaced by stronger, healthier hair strands.
    There is no need to panic because this apparent "hair loss" will eventually be replaced.
    Usually, shedding should stop after the first three months of treatment.
    However, this can and DOES VARY from male to male as generic Finasteride or Propecia has different effects depending on the individual using it.
    "By six months of treatment, shedding should have completely stopped".
    If the shedding has not fully stopped after 6 months then feel free to consult your doctor RIGHT AWAY.
    Usually you will need to wait at least a year to determine whether this type of treatment is working correctly.

Receding87, again, do not panic (dont know if you were) . Also when you take that medication take it as you would take your daily multivitamins, take it and do not think about it.

Thanks for the reply. However i have been on finasteride for 12 months and its the last 2 months where my hair has is wekaest that seems to be getting thinner.

Your welcomed Reced' , I suggest that you see your doctor on this pronto.
    Please do not get stressed out over this though.
    I have a feeling that ,because there are individual variations with Finasteride usage, you will be A-OK.
    Stay positive bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Your welcomed Reced' , I suggest that you see your doctor on this pronto.
    Please do not get stressed out over this though.
    I have a feeling that ,because there are individual variations with Finasteride usage, you will be A-OK.
    Stay positive bro!
    Reckon i am just a non responder so might give it few more months and see. I was hoping that it could be a shed and has been known to happen before at 12 months.

You could very well be right my friend!
    I feel you should see your doctor on this though.
    That is if in fact your doctor is the one who prescribed it for you.
    Is that the case?

While we are on this topic, I hope you don't mind if I ask a few quick questions regarding finasteride. I am a relatively new poster as well, however, been reading about MPB for the past year. I have always been too afraid to start finasteride. My hair loss is relatively recent, but I have lost literally about 60% of my hair in the past year, due to continual bouts of telogen effluvium from surgeries... It has become ESPECIALLY thin in the MPB prone regions.
    My question is this - Is there any benefit to starting finasteride slowly. That is, consuming 1mg every other day? I have always had a physiology that DRAMATICALLY responds to medications and procedures, so please understand my paranoia with the sexual side effects.