+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm only 16

Default I'm only 16

My hair has been receeding a lot since I was 14. Nowadays, my mates at school joke around about how I look like a pedophile rapist due to my 40 year old hairline. It doesn't bother me much, but it gets tiring after a while. One time this teacher joked asking, "do you work for 23rd jump street?" Lol. I thought it was funny, but eh. I'm confident with my hair, but I go to school looking like a 40 year old. Below are some pictures of my hairline. Anyone else went through this at 16?

I started balding at 16 (17 now) but my hair line wasn't that far receded. How's your family history of hair loss? If your not going to lose much hair anymore (which is very hard to say), then you could fill in your temples with a hair transplantation. However, as you're pretty far down the norwood scale so young already, I think it'll be a steep uphill battle. as you're pretty likely to bald even further.

Definitely go to a dermatologist and definitely seek out treatment. Even though you're too young to take finasteride, it might be worth it in your situation. I won't expect to regrow lost hair though (will only be possible with a hair transplantation prob), but you might maintain your current hair for a longer time.

Getting those comments because of your hair is ****ing brutal btw man, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through all of that. If it doesn't bother you that much then I admire your strength, for a lot of us it can be hard to give others a big "**** you" when they mock us b/c of hair loss. Something that might help with your appearance is buzzing your head to a 1 guard or 2 guard. Obv it won't do anything for your hairline, but I think it will look a lot 'cleaner' and better in general as opposed to what you have now. Not that what you have now is very long, but it could def be shorter imo.

I admire your strength in this situation as Illusion said.

I don't know if this will be the same in your case but here's a little anecdotal aside: a good friend of my father's (my father is 60) had a hairline like yours at the age of fifteen whereas my father had a full head of hair. A lot of them jested that he would be bald in no time. Ironically though and through no medical prevention he has kept the exact same hairline as his youth whereas my father has gone totally bald. Sometimes it hits hard when you're young and just... stops I guess.

Honestly, I know a few people at college with your hairline. Hardly anyone would even classify them as balding to be honest. Beyond that I'd say taper it down a bit more. Also, you still seem to have good thickness so that's good. If your hairloss is stabilized over the next few years you could potentially go down the HT route. I wish you all the best, my friend.

Yeah dawg I feel you, I'm seventeen and I've been thinning since I was 16 maybe even 15. I do have a little bit of peaks but it's mainly just thinning. I noticed it when I buzzed my head one summer and to my shock the top of my head was noticeably less full then the sides. I use minox but I still shed a crap ton and I think it's mainly just slowed the hairloss down. Luckily for us we are so young that we will probably see a cure, well I shouldn't say cure but we will probably see more decent transplant procedures like stem cell therapy or hair cloning so keep your head up man. Just focus on your grades so you can get a good job and afford a nice hair cloning or stem cell transplant!! And you can be a total player in your twenties.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5 View Post
    Yeah dawg I feel you, I'm seventeen and I've been thinning since I was 16 maybe even 15. I do have a little bit of peaks but it's mainly just thinning. I noticed it when I buzzed my head one summer and to my shock the top of my head was noticeably less full then the sides. I use minox but I still shed a crap ton and I think it's mainly just slowed the hairloss down. Luckily for us we are so young that we will probably see a cure, well I shouldn't say cure but we will probably see more decent transplant procedures like stem cell therapy or hair cloning so keep your head up man. Just focus on your grades so you can get a good job and afford a nice hair cloning or stem cell transplant!! And you can be a total player in your twenties.

I get what you're trying to say with this post but for the love of god, to every young balding guy out there: DON'T FOCUS ON FUTURE TREATMENTS!

We can't predict the future. Sure it'll give us better treatments but we don't know how good they'll work (maintenance? Or even regrowth? If so, how much? For how long will they work? Succes rate? etc) and more importantly, we also don't know when it will come out. If you start focussing on future treatments for hair loss then I can assure you that your life will turn into a living hell. Every single piece of news regarding progress or lack of progress will have a big impact on your mood and it's a very bad feeling to not know how the future regarding hair loss will look (even today it's still pretty insecure regarding when treatments that are trialling right now will be available to the public).

Don't look to the future. Follow developments of treatments with scepticism and don't get your hopes up too much. Don't focus on when treatments could potentionally be available, only do that when it's a 100% sure they actually will (even when companies announce things themselves it's usually not 100% sure, esp in hair loss industry -,- ). Focus only on what you can do today to your hair loss imo. That'll be a lot better to your mental health than focussing on future treatments.

Also, slightly off-topic: hair cloning and stem cell treatment (both essentially full blown cures) are still going to take a shitload of time, don't expect that anytime soon.