+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Questions about Seborrheic Dermatitis and MPB

Hi all, I suffer from both seborrheic dermatitis and MPB. If anyone could answer my 2 questions it would be great help.

1) Does SD accelerate/exacerbate MPB? I've searched all over the internet and there seems to be conflicting/contradictory answers:

-some say that SD can cause hairloss but it is not MPB hair loss so if you control it (the SD, that is) the hair should grow back
    -others say that SD simply accelerates the MPB which means that hair lost will not return.

2) I use a combination of an anti-dandruff shampoo twice a week and a mild shampoo the rest of the week to treat my SD. My anti-dandruff contains zinc pyrithione, but which would you recommend for my SD? (which works best):

A shampoo with zinc pyrithione, a shampoo with ketoconazole, T-Gel, or piroctone olamine? Do these work differently? Does any of these stand out from the others?

Come on... anyone? Nobody has SD?

bump

Hey woodnor, don't really have an answer for you. However, after a year on fin and minox, I seemed to have developed sebborheic derm. My dermatologist did say that it "should" regrow. I guess the hormone Chang from being on fin caused it for me. Inflammation associated with seb derm really messes the hair up and the environment in which it grows. I have read and was told that steroid injections help the re growth of hair lost due to seb derm. Also, I've read it really seems to flair up in winter and die off in summer. Wish we didn't have this, hang in there though. Just try and keep treating it and look into turmeric. I've heard and read it is very good at making seb derm go away.

I'm sorry, Tumeric**

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggyz123 View Post
    Hey woodnor, don't really have an answer for you. However, after a year on fin and minox, I seemed to have developed sebborheic derm. My dermatologist did say that it "should" regrow. I guess the hormone Chang from being on fin caused it for me. Inflammation associated with seb derm really messes the hair up and the environment in which it grows. I have read and was told that steroid injections help the re growth of hair lost due to seb derm. Also, I've read it really seems to flair up in winter and die off in summer. Wish we didn't have this, hang in there though. Just try and keep treating it and look into turmeric. I've heard and read it is very good at making seb derm go away.
    Hey Ziggy, thank you for the help. Yeah I guess there will always be some saying it does accelerate MPB and others will say the opposite. All I can do is just try to keep it under control.

By the way, do you mind telling me your regime for seborrheic dermatitis? Like which shampoos do you use and how often? Thanks.

Hi woodnor. I've had SB for 2 or 3 years now. Not sure how it affected my hair loss, but I have diffusal hair loss, and I've had it since before SB. I've only been using Nizoral so it progressed rather fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    SD can cause scalp irritation and hair loss(though usually minimal). This is not the same as AGA and often SD related alopecia is reversible if caught early. When you search online, I like to tell patients to limit the search to data driven sites like the NIH pubmed site or emedicine. SD and AGA have not been shown to have a strong causation that I could find but our clinical experience shows co-occurrence is common.

When we manage SD patients it is often after the over the counter stuff has failed, if you have control with your products that is great. Otherwise, the prescription options are very effective but you need to see your doctor.
    I see, so I guess I'll just stick to what I'm using if I'm keeping my SD under control. Although I would like to know if there are any shampoos you'd recommend for treating it. Thank you so much.

I know exactly what you are talking about woodnor. I get really bad SD mainly in the winter and right now it's like -15 degrees with windchill here in pennsylvania and yeah I have it really bad and I only have it where my mpb seems to be. When I itch at a spot and I get like a flake I like almost always have at least one hair coming up with it. I've always wondered if there was a correlation between SD and mpb.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5 View Post
    I know exactly what you are talking about woodnor. I get really bad SD mainly in the winter and right now it's like -15 degrees with windchill here in pennsylvania and yeah I have it really bad and I only have it where my mpb seems to be. When I itch at a spot and I get like a flake I like almost always have at least one hair coming up with it. I've always wondered if there was a correlation between SD and mpb.
    That sucks, do you mind telling me what shampoo do you use to keep it under control?

Hey man, sorry for not posting back. I use nizoral 2% but it hasn't really stopped my scalp from hurting too much. Live read that tea tree oil shampoo is great for it. Wish I could tell you more, but I just developed sebborheic dermatitis this year. I really wonder if propecia caused this for me. Best of luck