Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodnor
    • Feb 2014

Questions about Seborrheic Dermatitis and MPB

Hi all, I suffer from both seborrheic dermatitis and MPB. If anyone could answer my 2 questions it would be great help.

1) Does SD accelerate/exacerbate MPB? I've searched all over the internet and there seems to be conflicting/contradictory answers:

-some say that SD can cause hairloss but it is not MPB hair loss so if you control it (the SD, that is) the hair should grow back
    -others say that SD simply accelerates the MPB which means that hair lost will not return.

2) I use a combination of an anti-dandruff shampoo twice a week and a mild shampoo the rest of the week to treat my SD. My anti-dandruff contains zinc pyrithione, but which would you recommend for my SD? (which works best):

A shampoo with zinc pyrithione, a shampoo with ketoconazole, T-Gel, or piroctone olamine? Do these work differently? Does any of these stand out from the others?
  • woodnor
    • Feb 2014

Come on... anyone? Nobody has SD?

bump

Comment

• Ziggyz123
      • Feb 2015

Hey woodnor, don't really have an answer for you. However, after a year on fin and minox, I seemed to have developed sebborheic derm. My dermatologist did say that it "should" regrow. I guess the hormone Chang from being on fin caused it for me. Inflammation associated with seb derm really messes the hair up and the environment in which it grows. I have read and was told that steroid injections help the re growth of hair lost due to seb derm. Also, I've read it really seems to flair up in winter and die off in summer. Wish we didn't have this, hang in there though. Just try and keep treating it and look into turmeric. I've heard and read it is very good at making seb derm go away.

Comment

• Ziggyz123
        • Feb 2015

I'm sorry, Tumeric**

Comment

• woodnor
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Ziggyz123
          Hey woodnor, don't really have an answer for you. However, after a year on fin and minox, I seemed to have developed sebborheic derm. My dermatologist did say that it "should" regrow. I guess the hormone Chang from being on fin caused it for me. Inflammation associated with seb derm really messes the hair up and the environment in which it grows. I have read and was told that steroid injections help the re growth of hair lost due to seb derm. Also, I've read it really seems to flair up in winter and die off in summer. Wish we didn't have this, hang in there though. Just try and keep treating it and look into turmeric. I've heard and read it is very good at making seb derm go away.
          Hey Ziggy, thank you for the help. Yeah I guess there will always be some saying it does accelerate MPB and others will say the opposite. All I can do is just try to keep it under control.

By the way, do you mind telling me your regime for seborrheic dermatitis? Like which shampoos do you use and how often? Thanks.

Comment

• Sogeking
            • Feb 2011

Hi woodnor. I've had SB for 2 or 3 years now. Not sure how it affected my hair loss, but I have diffusal hair loss, and I've had it since before SB. I've only been using Nizoral so it progressed rather fast.

Comment

• woodnor
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
              SD can cause scalp irritation and hair loss(though usually minimal). This is not the same as AGA and often SD related alopecia is reversible if caught early. When you search online, I like to tell patients to limit the search to data driven sites like the NIH pubmed site or emedicine. SD and AGA have not been shown to have a strong causation that I could find but our clinical experience shows co-occurrence is common.

When we manage SD patients it is often after the over the counter stuff has failed, if you have control with your products that is great. Otherwise, the prescription options are very effective but you need to see your doctor.
              I see, so I guess I'll just stick to what I'm using if I'm keeping my SD under control. Although I would like to know if there are any shampoos you'd recommend for treating it. Thank you so much.

Comment

• Eric5
                • Jan 2015

I know exactly what you are talking about woodnor. I get really bad SD mainly in the winter and right now it's like -15 degrees with windchill here in pennsylvania and yeah I have it really bad and I only have it where my mpb seems to be. When I itch at a spot and I get like a flake I like almost always have at least one hair coming up with it. I've always wondered if there was a correlation between SD and mpb.

Comment

• woodnor
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Eric5
                  I know exactly what you are talking about woodnor. I get really bad SD mainly in the winter and right now it's like -15 degrees with windchill here in pennsylvania and yeah I have it really bad and I only have it where my mpb seems to be. When I itch at a spot and I get like a flake I like almost always have at least one hair coming up with it. I've always wondered if there was a correlation between SD and mpb.
                  That sucks, do you mind telling me what shampoo do you use to keep it under control?

Comment

• Ziggyz123
                    • Feb 2015

Hey man, sorry for not posting back. I use nizoral 2% but it hasn't really stopped my scalp from hurting too much. Live read that tea tree oil shampoo is great for it. Wish I could tell you more, but I just developed sebborheic dermatitis this year. I really wonder if propecia caused this for me. Best of luck

Comment

• Eric5
                      • Jan 2015

I use ketoconazole 2% three times a week and then on my off days I use like either a selsun blue or T-gel. It doesn't really get rid of it but it can help maintain it.

Comment

• woodnor
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Ziggyz123
                        Hey man, sorry for not posting back. I use nizoral 2% but it hasn't really stopped my scalp from hurting too much. Live read that tea tree oil shampoo is great for it. Wish I could tell you more, but I just developed sebborheic dermatitis this year. I really wonder if propecia caused this for me. Best of luck
                        Originally posted by Eric5
                        I use ketoconazole 2% three times a week and then on my off days I use like either a selsun blue or T-gel. It doesn't really get rid of it but it can help maintain it.
                        I see so both of you use nizoral/ketoconazole but it doesn't get rid of SD completely...

Eric, so you use Tgel/selsun in between the days you use ketoconazole? Do you think tgel/selsun are mild enough (for using them between the ketoconazole)?

I'm asking because when I started my treatment I tried a lot of shampoos and I remember Nizoral made my scalp a lot itchier and I hated it. Now what I'm using is a shampoo with zinc pyrithione twice a week (it's the active ingredient in Head&Shoulders), maybe you could look into a shampoo that has that. The other 5 days of the week I use a shampoo that feels like it's really mild (I'm not sure if it's actually mild). It's called Elution by ducray, and it's actually a shampoo to use as a follow-up to dandruff treatments (says it in the label), so it's meant to be used as a complement to dandruff shampoos.

So far I have had a lot of success with this combination. However I should mention that my SD worsens a lot when I'm under a lot of stress. So keeping your stress levels in check helps big time. What I'm wondering now is if I should try and switch the Elution (the one I use in-between dandruff shampoo) for a 'milder' shampoo like those that are sulfate-free. But I'm scared that if it doesn't work my SD will come back even worse.I guess I shouldn't change anything if it works most of the time, right?

EDIT: Btw, here's the link to the shampoo I'm talking about if you guys are interested

Alternation with or follow-up to anti-dandruff treatment shampoos Your scalp can be weakened during or after an anti-dandruff treatment.

Comment

Working...