Default Scalp irritation

Dr. Redmond I realize there is another question about scalp pain. I was curious I read you book and it was wonderful. IT answered alot for me. I see you addressed a section to scalp sensations.

I wanted to ask you though since I have been to many doctors with no answers, my scalp is pink tinged and has flare periods that can last hours to weeks. I have diffusely lost 50% of my scalp hair at this time. I had a pretty normal scalp biopsy. Scalp gets warm to the touch and severe stinging mixed with itch and burn. My eyebrows and lashes also itch and burn and have thinned out. My fingernails have become lumpy. NO bald spots all diffuse.

Does this sound like AGA to you? Thanks for your time.

Smile Ziinc, etc.

This sounds like it might be nutritonal. Did the biopsy come back negative? Zinc is important for hair growth and general skin conditions. A hair analysis or blood test will show if you're low. Tons of us are low in this mineral.cath

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mythreeboys View Post
    Dr. Redmond I realize there is another question about scalp pain. I was curious I read you book and it was wonderful. IT answered alot for me. I see you addressed a section to scalp sensations.

I wanted to ask you though since I have been to many doctors with no answers, my scalp is pink tinged and has flare periods that can last hours to weeks. I have diffusely lost 50% of my scalp hair at this time. I had a pretty normal scalp biopsy. Scalp gets warm to the touch and severe stinging mixed with itch and burn. My eyebrows and lashes also itch and burn and have thinned out. My fingernails have become lumpy. NO bald spots all diffuse.

Does this sound like AGA to you? Thanks for your time.
    Scalp redness suggests inflammation. There are other causes but with a normal scalp biopsy, the cause is likely to be seborrheic dermatitis as I explained in the answer to another recent question. Seborrheic dermatitis can also affect eyebrows and eyelashes. The redness of inflammation is due to increased blood flow so inflamed areas often feel hot. Spironolactone is often effective, together with T-Gel shampoo.

Some patients have told me that a dermatologist told them that their seborrheic dermatitis is the cause of their alopecia. This is a misunderstanding. Rather, both the alopecia and the seborrhea are both the effects of testosterone sensitivity.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.