+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 yo experiencing hairloss

Hey guys, I've been experiencing some recession on my hairline that started about a year and a half ago. Decided that I should go get it check out so I went into a dermatologist and he said he believes that I only have a "muturing hairline" and do not have mpb. I'm not really sure that I believe him so I figured I'd post some pictures on here to see what you guys think. Also I've been using minoxidil for about a year now even though I know it's not as effective on the hairline. Currently also use nizoral as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg

Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	37248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg

Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	37249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg

Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	37250  

Quote Originally Posted by Nate23 View Post
    Hey guys, I've been experiencing some recession on my hairline that started about a year and a half ago. Decided that I should go get it check out so I went into a dermatologist and he said he believes that I only have a "muturing hairline" and do not have mpb. I'm not really sure that I believe him so I figured I'd post some pictures on here to see what you guys think. Also I've been using minoxidil for about a year now even though I know it's not as effective on the hairline. Currently also use nizoral as well.
    Believe me, if I had that much hair at 21, I would be over the moon with joy.

Yeah it's not a huge problem yet. I just wanna make sure I do everything I can to keep it that way if I do have mpb. Anyone else have an opinion?

Bump

yeah dude im looking at your hair... you could have early signs of true MPB rather than simply a maturing hairline. the best way to know would be to get some minaturization mapping done to your scalp by a dermatologist specializing in hair loss treatment. best FDA approved way to really preserve hair is Finasteride and the earlier you start the better.

http://baldingblog.com/2006/08/31/mi...meets-the-eye/

I'm no expert but I believe minoxidil only synchronizes the cycle in which your hairs grow so more hair would grow at the same time (vs. some hairg rowing while others are in the 'sleeping' phase), thus creating the illusion of more hair. After reading a lot of stuff here I'm pretty sure out of the 'big 3' (Fin, Minox and Nizoral) if you don't take finasteride then minox will only work as an illusion because you will still be losing hair. Same with nizoral.
    I'm your age too and my hairline is way worse than yours, it's somewhere around NW 2.5-3. My crown is not thinning, and I've taken fin since October '13, and although my hairline has still receded a bit who knows if it would've receded even faster had I not taken fin. Also it may be preventing my crown from thinning.

I would advise trying to get on fin and maybe dropping minoxidil (it's annoying having to apply it every day) but it's your call. Also it may also be that your hairline is "maturing", which means that it may recede a little more and then stop where it is and you won't recede till you're much older. But it all depends on your family, so try to see if your 30 or 40+ siblings have mature hairlines with no further loss, that should give you a clue.