+ Reply to Thread

Default Experience flying all the way to Turkey for FUE and not having it done

I wanted to share my recent experience with fellow members, I contacted a clinic in Turkey, we went through the whole scenario of sending pictures, discussing number of grafts etc.

I arranged time off work (both beforehand to get flights to the clinic for the surgery, as well as time off afterwards for recovery), also paid out for flights, converted local currency into a currency accepted by the clinic etc.

The short of it is, I arrived, spent the night ready for the FUE procedure the next day, only to be told that I wasn't a good candidate and that I wouldn't be happy with the results, I was obviously a bit bemused why we went through the whole picture swapping escapade etc.

As this whole fiasco cost me in excess of 1.2k Euros (excluding wasted vacation time), needless to say I wanted to share this fiasco with others.

you were found to be an unsuitable candidate.....why?

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    This is an interesting point. Not everyone is a candidate for FUE or hair transplants in general. A lot of people are under the impression that anyone can get a transplant, and if you get a transplant you WILL get results. The truth is anyone can get a transplant but ,at least at our clinic, we often turn away patients for a variety of reasons. Also, because not everyone will get results, we try to pre-select as much as possible the best candidates but even then an occasional case will surprise us after the fact.

I think its important to get multiple opinions and respect the clinics opinions(do not fight or force them to do a procedure but do look elsewhere if you have time). Now, the sad thing in your case is you had a picture swap first which often can help pre-select patients. But this also shows the value of in person evaluation.

I do wonder sometimes with travel time/hotels and all, is the cost that much cheaper to leave your country? And if it is, what happens if you have a complication and need follow up?

Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear the story.

PS Another point are what signs of a clinic show it may be on the less medical and more business aspect
    -clinics that claim 100% results all the time (medically not possible)
    -clinics that say everyone is a candidate
    -clinics that talk down other clinics or doctors or like to say they are always repairing other clinics work
    -clinics that seem to do more cases then is possible by the amount of physicians on staff

Please note all the above is just our opinion.
    Dr. Rashid, do you think not taking finasteride is a big NO NO for transplant candidates....because I'm not on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    Finasteride has its place and it depends on the risk/benefits scenario you are facing including age and potential extent of balding. If a patient wants to be on it and has no major contraindications we will prescribe it. It has strong science behind it and works in most, but not all, patients.

I do not think finasteride will make or break your hair transplant if you have one, though it could postpone the need for a transplant if you want a stop gap.
    Thanks for such a prompt response. Best wishes to you. I'm Norwood 7 btw.