+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How did premature balding/a shaved head affect your dating life in your twenties?

I'm a 19 year old who had a rare permanent case of TE the hair looks sickly thin all across the top so I shaved it to the skin, truth is I personally like it! However I'm very concerned about what attractive girls my age will think, I've never had a legit girlfriend (I could have a number of times) but it's something I take very seriously and looks are a big factor for me and the girls too. It's something very important to me and my family being very military holds to the belief we should all have something we'd die for and could not live without , we mean that very literally.. to me it's the dream of a blushing bride in my twenties, so I want to know how it affected other men who shaved it off this young. And if this kills that dream (side note- with the TE affected follicles were dried up and treatment wouldn't work, honestly seems like it don't help many anyway so I'd opt to shave anyway)

I shaved at 23. I'm trying minoxidil now... hoping it helps, otherwise, I'm in the boat with you for good.

Honestly.....my dating life suffered quite a bit. But if you can bring your standards down (if you know what I mean) then you'll be just fine. Girls used to hit on me all through college when I had full hair. Not a single woman anymore. I have to make all the effort, and I'm lucky if I end up going out with a really hot girl.
    So I'd say most guys who shave their head will have to bring their standards down, unless they look like Jason Statham.

Quote Originally Posted by dyi View Post
    I shaved at 23. I'm trying minoxidil now... hoping it helps, otherwise, I'm in the boat with you for good.

Honestly.....my dating life suffered quite a bit. But if you can bring your standards down (if you know what I mean) then you'll be just fine. Girls used to hit on me all through college when I had full hair. Not a single woman anymore. I have to make all the effort, and I'm lucky if I end up going out with a really hot girl.
    So I'd say most guys who shave their head will have to bring their standards down, unless they look like Jason Statham.
    You said in another thread that you're between a NW1 and a NW2. Not a single girl I've ever talked to cared about that man, wtf. If people do notice that you're balding than you're probably a very heavy diffuse thinner but otherwise girls really don't care.

In this case it's probably mostly in your head.

@OP I can't answer your question yet as I'm not bald yet, but I'm on the fence of shaving everything off... I'm waiting until summer to see if treatments are working and if not, I'm going to buzz it to a guard 1. However, if my hair is going to get really thin before that time I'm probably forced to buzz it down earlier.

One of the advantages of being a diffuse thinner (I'm diffuse thinning and receding, yay me =D ) is that you can buzz it very short and it will still look pretty decently, as you still have a hairline that will frame your face. Maybe post some pics to show us how bad/thin your hair actually is at the moment? Oh, and if you want, you could always try to apply some Toppik (http://www.toppik.com/) which will make your hair fuller. As your hair is diffuse thinned out, Toppik would basically "solve" all your problems but not everybody feels comfortable with using such a product, so the choice is yours.

Not an option for me my friend, I don't do anything halfway especially not that aspect of my life.

Lowering standards isn't an option, I don't ever go halfway and on this aspect of life I never could. Everyone says the shaved look suits me well, so it's not like I look awful. But you only got one life no reason to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaveCake View Post
    Not an option for me my friend, I don't do anything halfway especially not that aspect of my life.
    What does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    What does that even mean?
    Sorry I meant more to reply to the other post, however with TE that dries follicles treatment doesn't work, and it was over 60% lost, shaved it doesn't look like I'm balding but I have to keep the shadow very faint, I use the bald eagle shaver every day. What sucks is I was literally born with a Norwood 2, docs called it triangular slope is, mom had it too, sowjile you can see the hairline it still looks a little receded

0 interest from girls now that I'm norwood 7. One of my mom's friends even said 'no girl will even look at me'. Another one of my mom's friend's said 'you'd better do something about that, or no girl will want you'....I didn't say anything in return. I just kept the pain to myself. I forgave them.

I've been through a lot...I'd never wish hair loss on anyone.

H
    Quote Originally Posted by FlightTL View Post
    0 interest from girls now that I'm norwood 7. One of my mom's friends even said 'no girl will even look at me'. Another one of my mom's friend's said 'you'd better do something about that, or no girl will want you'....I didn't say anything in return. I just kept the pain to myself. I forgave them.

I've been through a lot...I'd never wish hair loss on anyone.

Why not shave your head? I thought I'd look weird and turned out i didn't look bad, in fact some of the people I've met in the last few months at the new job after I shaved seen pictures of me when I had thick hair and said they prefer me with this, that it makes me look better! I'm not underplaying how much it sucks but honestly I wish I wouldn't have posted on here, there are guys who shave their heads and still do good and get attractive women, even if they are nervous they don't hide away from women assuming they won't be interested, we don't hear about it on here because when you've been successful there's no reason to come post negative things on here. Seems like everyone says, I lost my hair then I stopped going gor girls, but most I know who kept trying, even if nervous still found attractive girls. Shave it and see how it looks. And who cares if old ladies don't like it, they aren't the target audience, no offense to your mom, after all mine's most likely older than yours. Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaveCake View Post
    H

Why not shave your head? I thought I'd look weird and turned out i didn't look bad, in fact some of the people I've met in the last few months at the new job after I shaved seen pictures of me when I had thick hair and said they prefer me with this, that it makes me look better! I'm not underplaying how much it sucks but honestly I wish I wouldn't have posted on here, there are guys who shave their heads and still do good and get attractive women, even if they are nervous they don't hide away from women assuming they won't be interested, we don't here about it on here because when you've been successful there's no reason to come post negative things on here. Seems like everyone says, I lost my hair then I stopped going gor girls, but most I know who kept trying, even if nervous still found attractive girls. Shave it and see how it looks. And who cares if old ladies don't like it, they aren't the target audience, no offense to your mom, after all mine's most likely older than yours. Best wishes.
    My mom never made fun of me.

My mom's friends made fun of me and laughed at me.

Thank you for the insight. I tried clipping it to a 0 once. Negative reactions from mostly everyone. Those who said nothing kind of smirked and laughed.