+ Reply to Thread

Default DP cells from IPS cells real?

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...skikh-burnham/

So someone on this forum (thinning87- please explain yourself more thoroughly) posted that this study is old and not relevant, but it seems to be popping up all over the news, and apparently they also interviewed Gail Naughton from histogen. Does anyone have info on how recent these interviews are and on whether this has promise or not? This does not seem irrelevant. It was done on mice, but human DP cells were induced.

Problem with this is that even if the follicles do end up growing on human scalp, it still requires some time to see if the follicles grow terminal hair that also CYCLES through regular anagen, catagen and telogen phases without miniaturizing with each new cycle.

I won't be impressed until they do a single trial on at least ONE individual. How many times have we heard researchers flap their gums about a potential cure within 5 years only to have their work amount to absolutely nothing and end up as nothing more than mouse experiments. Also, and hopefully, someone funds that SOON to run a trial... getting tired of all these discoveries end up as 'vaporware'.

Yeah we know your stance. Clearly this is only a small step, but I'm just dying to figure out if it's real or not, and why that thinning87 guy was saying he has inside ufo on this, when it is showing up in the news. Someone here is confused. This is a small step, but it is a really big one. If they have all the necessary cells to create a follicle its only a matter of time before they figure out how to make it work cosmetically.

Moreover, DP cells created through induction could be added to native DP cells from the back of the head, in oder to form clusters. There are a lot of possibilities as to ho this can be used. I think the end goal is basically for a combination of cells to be used to form a pro to-folliclce that is implanted precisely into the scalp. I think this is what lauster et al are working on, and having a good amount of DP cells made from IPS cells can only speed things along. If this is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfin View Post
    Moreover, DP cells created through induction could be added to native DP cells from the back of the head, in oder to form clusters. There are a lot of possibilities as to ho this can be used. I think the end goal is basically for a combination of cells to be used to form a pro to-folliclce that is implanted precisely into the scalp. I think this is what lauster et al are working on, and having a good amount of DP cells made from IPS cells can only speed things along. If this is legit.
    Keep in mind that the inject IPS cells *could* play a role in rejuvenating existing miniaturized follicles in bald scalps. Dr. Claire Higgins gave the impression that many cells are needed to form the follicle, so perhaps this could restore the old follicles back to normal size?

I am on a business trip in Phoenix. I will be back in San Diego tomorrow night and will ask my roommate, who was one of the authors. I will then ask my other friend, who is also one of the authors, to give me more technical insight as to why it can't work this way, and much more needs to be done to make this something that can be used.

I am not trolling you guys. I have never trolled, and have been a member for 3 years now. You cannot believe how surprised I was to see my roommate and my other friend's names on this article when it was first posted last week. I sent them emails and started a whatsapp conversation about it right away. The first thing they told me is "oh finally this got published, we were working on it 5 years ago".

More info to come this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning87 View Post
    I am on a business trip in Phoenix. I will be back in San Diego tomorrow night and will ask my roommate, who was one of the authors. I will then ask my other friend, who is also one of the authors, to give me more technical insight as to why it can't work this way, and much more needs to be done to make this something that can be used.

I am not trolling you guys. I have never trolled, and have been a member for 3 years now. You cannot believe how surprised I was to see my roommate and my other friend's names on this article when it was first posted last week. I sent them emails and started a whatsapp conversation about it right away. The first thing they told me is "oh finally this got published, we were working on it 5 years ago".

More info to come this weekend.
    I don't understand why they are looking for commercial support if "it can't work this way". I also dont understand why Gail Naughton and Dr. Bauman would congratulate them, if this is old news and no big deal. I also don't understand how your roommate is also a russian hair loss researcher.

Well clearly a lot needs to be done, that was never a question. But in your last post you made it sound like no one is working on this anymore and it was useless. The fact is though that the lead researcher just went on record a few days ago saying that he wants it to lead to eventually lead to human trials. So there's a disconnect between what you said about your roommates abandoning the research and the reality of this press release. Im thinking maybe your roommate was not the main researcher and thus went on to other things. but id be interested to now why they blow it off as unimportant.

Yeah so neither my roommate or my other friend were the main researchers. At the time they were PhD students (or maybe they were post docs already) and they are definitely not the ones that drove this effort.

My roommate was so clueless when I asked him last week, he asked me if I had been drinking. Apparently they participated in the research years ago. My other friend told me this technically might have potential, but the way they set up the experiment makes it something that can't be done any time soon unless some major obstacles are overcome. This is what I understood when he told me about it and trust me guys, I insisted on him explaining it to me but I couldn't really make sense of what he was saying. I have a textbook titled "the cell" in my living room that my roommate was using at Sanford Burnham. This stuff is so complicated guys, I couldn't understand more than 1 page.

Anywas, like I said I am in San Diego now so I will definitely ask tonight or tomorrow. My other friend seemed more knowledgeable abot the project, my roommate barely even remembered.