Started experiencing hair loss at the age of 20.. Please send help - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Started experiencing hair loss at the age of 20.. Please send help

Alright so, my name is Kyle and I'm new here. This is actually my first post and i've been looking for a hair loss forum for some time now.

Well anyways, I started losing my hair when I was 19/20. I've come to the conclusion that my hair loss has got to be either genetic or hormonal because I am a very athletic person and have a pretty good diet. I don't drink soda, don't consume a lot of salt or sugar, eat tons of protein, fruit, vegetables, etc etc. So what i'm currently trying to figure out is what types of treatments I should pursue. I have tried a couple and talked about them a little below, but nothings worked for me so far.

A year and a half ago I started taking NuHair regrowth and dht blocker tablets. Neither of which did anything for me. Now I know that these are more natural treatments and really aren't as proven as something like Propecia. The reason I tried these instead was because I really didn't want to have to be stuck taking something for the rest of my life but I'm finally coming to the realization that I may just have to. I experimented with a couple other different treatments like shampoos, tablets, and others but nothing really worked for me.

So what i'm really looking for is some other people that have had a similar experience with losing hair at a young age and what they did to overcome it. It's even worse for me because i've ALWAYS had long hair and now its just starting to look bad in my opinion but I can't even find a decent short hair cut since my hair is getting so thin on top. Any advice would be appreciated as you know the negative impact this sort of thing has on your self confidence. Thanks a lot guys

Also, from everything that i've seen on here... My hair loss is much worse than people my age. I'll try and get a picture up soon but I was kinda jealous of some of the people on here who are in their early/mid twenties haha

Hey there. Welcome to the forum!

Contrary to what many people believe, most hair loss has nothing to do with nutrition, diet, physical activity/stress unless you're really at the extreme ends of the spectrum of malnutrition. Next time your in a city take a look for the homeless guys with flowing locks of hair, or the 400lb dude with a perfect hairline.

Anyways, most hairloss in men is due to hair follicle sensitivity to a hormone call Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is a byproduct of Testosterone metabolism. Generally, its not the absolute levels of DHT that correlate, but the sensitivity to DHT by the hair follicles.

Without pictures, we can't really assess your degree of hairloss and what may work best, but in general, there are 2-3 proven therapies. NuHair isn't one of them unfortunately.

1. Propecia (Finasteride) - proven to work in the majority of guys. Some people have complained of side effects from this medication. My firsthand experience is that I had no side effects whatsoever.

2. Minoxidil (Rogaine) which is a topical liquid or foam, which may have short term benefits due to the vasodilation of the arterioles near the hair follicle. It doesn't generally work long term, and didn't do much for me.

3. Dutasteride (Avodart) is a medication for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, but also inhibits DHT to a greater extent than finasteride. It is likely to have greater side effects, though because of the greater inhibition. My experience is that this worked the best for my hair loss (written off-label). It's also very expensive and hard to get many physicians to prescribe.

4. Hair transplant - not really a practical solution unless your combating future loss by inhibiting DHT, and should not be a first-line approach to hair loss. Upon stabilization using medical therapy, many guys may seek a transplant to improve their appearance.

Any other things you see on the internet... supplements, lotions..."herbals"... whatever, haven't gone through the FDA approval process and haven't clinically been shown to have a benefit, so please save your money. Some people see benefit with something called Nizoral (Ketoconazole) shampoo. I've used it, and its a nice shampoo, but I don't know if its done anything for my hair loss.

The best thing to do is to talk to your doctor, or see a dermatologist to assess your hairloss and decide on a therapy that's best for you. Unfortunately it seems that the anti-propecia propaganda has spread to parts of the medical community, so if they're hesitant to go that route, maybe consider a second opinion.

Hope that helps! Good luck, and be careful about what you read on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by kylef5993 View Post
    Now I know that these are more natural treatments and really aren't as proven as something like Propecia. The reason I tried these instead was because I really didn't want to have to be stuck taking something for the rest of my life but I'm finally coming to the realization that I may just have to.
    Unfortunately propecia is the only thing we really have besides minoxidil. There are experimentals such as RU, but that is about. And yes you will be stuck taking the stuff for the rest of your life unless something else comes out. I started balding at 22/23 so I was a little luckier than you, I guess. But unlike you I didn't know about possible treatments and my doctor told me there was nothing I could do. I wasted my time with supplements such as procerin. None of that garbage works. I am on finasteride now and I have been able to salvage some hair, but I started way too late. Good luck with whatever you choose. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.