+ Reply to Thread

Thread: coffee

Default coffee

i saw someone here make an offhanded remark (in an old thread) that drinking coffee is "good" for when you're losing hair. anyone know what he meant? i'm not expecting to slow loss by getting back on a cup or two a day, but when i started shedding ~15 months ago (chronic telogen effluvium possibly/most likely leading into standard MPB, if i'd have to guess) i cut out coffee since i figured if TE is stress-related, the added tension of caffeine could only hurt. if i'm wrong then i'd love to get back to the bean...

I don't know if drinking coffee will help, but studies have proven that caffeine itself is good for your hair. That's why quite a few shampoos have caffeine in them. Just google around a bit, you'll found plenty of links.

But don't expect it to do anything for your hair loss. If I recall correctly, caffeine made your hair stronger (temporarily?) but I'm not sure.

I'm a medical student and I'm pretty sure I'm in the top 90th percentile for coffee and caffeine drinking... but it never did anything for my hair. Dutasteride on the other hand, has been pretty good.

Sorry buddy coffee does nothing for hair loss if it did I wouldn't be going bald as I drink coffee all day.

Inactive

This is the million dollar question, and one that probably doesn't have a clear cut answer. For every article you find on a google search saying that coffee/caffeine causes hair loss, you find another that says it actually helps your hair grow. It's like politics - it really does depend on which set of "facts" you choose to believe. See what works for you. If stopping the coffee has for some reason slowed down your hair loss (and you can definitely attribute it to that), then who's to say that that's not the route you should take. Start drinking it again and see how your body responds to it, as everyone's body is different - though I can't imagine it could make too much of a difference either way.

As for me, I'll continue drinking my 2 cups a day and enjoying every bitter second of it.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

I dont think it makes any significant difference either way