+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Creatine 3 times a week?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently 17 years old (18 this year) and I have a family prone to MPB (every male is around NW 5-7). I have been experiencing some thinning, and I'm very cautious regarding my hair loss as I want to retain my hair as long as possible. I currently use Nizoral 2% once a week and I'm planning on starting Rogaine this summer or winter, depending on how my hair loss progresses.

To my question; I have a mass gainer supplement which I am taking 3 times a week in conjunction with my workouts. My dose contains around 2.3 g of creatine. Since there is a correlation between creatine and increased DHT, I was wondering if taking 2.3 g of creatine only 3 times a week is enough to considerably increase my DHT levels?
    And when I stop taking creatine, will the eventual decrease in DHT mean possible hair loss will be regrown?

I'd appreciate any input on this
    Thanks

It seems you already have done much research about link between Creatine and hair loss. Creatine does increase DHT concentration 10x which significantly accelerates hair loss. However, I wonder if you’re taking less than 5g a day should do harm. Hair loss is mostly genetic and you may be at an age where you would naturally start losing hair. Have you ever considered using ketoconazaole or Minoxidil for hair loss? If hair loss is drug related, it would eventually come back, once you stop using the supplement. However, I see you have strong history of baldness in family, which can make it difficult. The choice is up to you. You can stop taking Creatine if you think, it is to blame or you can continue taking it and add additional supplements that can counteract this effect, like ketoconazaole. How about consulting with a trichologist? Dr. Google can leave you with much confused state of mind.

I have been using creatine for years and I suffer MPB plus prior to Finesteride i would get the dreaded MPB itch.

One thing I have realised with the help of others is anything over 5g creatine will cause hairloss, this effect does happen to me. I was a regular user of celltech great gains and no effect on my hairloss, when they recently changed their formula it contained 8g I started shedding with itchy scalp. Now I use Maximuscle which has 3.5g and cyclone has 5g without any adverse side effects or hairloss shedding.

Its a load of hooey that Creatine has any connection with hair loss.

There was ONE craptacular study with like 20 rugby players in South Africa and suddenly people take it for gospel. Come on guys...seriously.

what a load of complete nonsense, creatine does not have any effect on MPB. take it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by av8r10 View Post
    what a load of complete nonsense, creatine does not have any effect on MPB. take it everyday.
    Based on what, YOUR experiance?

Creatine is harmful for hair. I would air on the safe side and not take it....wth you even need creatine for it is uselesss just eat well exercisise and if you really want look into SARMS or certain hair safe gear

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Based on what, YOUR experiance?

Creatine is harmful for hair. I would air on the safe side and not take it....wth you even need creatine for it is uselesss just eat well exercisise and if you really want look into SARMS or certain hair safe gear
    How exactly is Creatine harmful for hair? Its an amino acid thats abundant in red meat? It may raise natural testosterone levels but what exact scientific evidence is there to state that it has a direct correlation with hair loss? Would love to see them

Its not an amino acid.

It alone won't raise testosterone, all it is a type of energy the body needs for type I fibers.

Whats the point? For strength athletes it means the difference between 4 reps and 5 reps at a heavy weight. But there is such a thing as a 'non-responder' which means it has zero effect. That can be both genetic as well as it being sourced sufficiently for your own energy needs from your normal diet so the additional does nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by av8r10 View Post
    Lol false statement.

I started to take creatine on a daily dosage of 5g about 4 months ago and I can see that my hair got worse since then (while my muscles actually grew. I would really not recommend it if you want to keep your hair. I will probably stop it as well and then try in one year again for 2 months or so to get that extra amount of weight. That is also the way a lot of fitness trainers recommend it: The effect of creatine will decrease anyway after 2-5 months, so it's better to take it once or twice a year.