+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine and Nizoral Problems/Warnings/Help

Hey guys,

You seem like you all really know your stuff here, so I think you can answer my questions that I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere else. I'm about a MPB level III (I think, you need pics? According to this: http://granulerx.com/i/nwscale.gif), and I've recently been seeing more thinning in the front. The back of all my hair is very intact (no problems at the vertex level), but I'm worried and wanted to start on the front widow peak hair loss I've been developing. So I decided to go with the Norizal Shampoo twice a week with the Rogaine nightly. Before I start I have some questions:

1) Just reading the Rogaine bottle it says NOT to use it on the front of the head in the anterior area. It says to use it only at the vertex! I have NO vertex loss anywhere, but everyone here is applying the Rogaine to their anterior area. What gives?

2) I've read that if I start taking Norizal/Rogaine I'll have to keep it up for the rest of my life. I've also read that if you're not losing that much hair if you start the Norizal/Rogaine and stop it will accelerate hair loss. Do any of you have opinions on the matter?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by dumbman View Post
    Hey guys,

You seem like you all really know your stuff here, so I think you can answer my questions that I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere else. I'm about a MPB level III (I think, you need pics? According to this: http://granulerx.com/i/nwscale.gif), and I've recently been seeing more thinning in the front. The back of all my hair is very intact (no problems at the vertex level), but I'm worried and wanted to start on the front widow peak hair loss I've been developing. So I decided to go with the Norizal Shampoo twice a week with the Rogaine nightly. Before I start I have some questions:

1) Just reading the Rogaine bottle it says NOT to use it on the front of the head in the anterior area. It says to use it only at the vertex! I have NO vertex loss anywhere, but everyone here is applying the Rogaine to their anterior area. What gives?

2) I've read that if I start taking Norizal/Rogaine I'll have to keep it up for the rest of my life. I've also read that if you're not losing that much hair if you start the Norizal/Rogaine and stop it will accelerate hair loss. Do any of you have opinions on the matter?

Thanks guys!
    From my 3 year AGA knowledge (broscience):

1) McNeill (Rogaine's manufacturer) only verified the results of their tests on the vertex and crown area (trials were conducted that way for x amount of reasons) so they are legally unable to write that their product also works on the frontal area. Even though it has been anecdotally said that it's tougher to regrow hair in the frontal area by scientists etc, the principal mechanism of effect remains the same as for the back of your head. I've seen plenty of doctors and forumers report that they've seen frontal effectiveness and that it doesn't matter what the label says. It SHOULD work the same in the front. It's always worth a shot!

2) No. Don't listen to the paranoids, your hair will never be worse off if you try these treatments. Go with it, you won't regret it but make sure you don't give up halfway through. Give it an honest 6-months to a year before drawing any conclusions if it's working or not for you. That's KEY. Get on those treatments and don't look back.

Why don't you get on fin too?

I don't think the bottle actually says not to use for frontal hair loss. It only says it works for vertex....but it does say not to use on OTHER body parts.

So, it's completely safe to use it on the hair line but like the guy above said some believe it's only effective on the vertex but many believe it can also work on the hair line too. You just need to try and see if it does for you.

Thanks guys, appreciate the support and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
    From my 3 year AGA knowledge (broscience):
    Why don't you get on fin too?
    What is fin? Is that the medical pill supplement?

I haven't researched this extensively, but for now my thinking is as follows. I'm only 25 years old and just started to notice the hairline issues. Other than that I have full thick follicles of hair. My father is bald but my mother's father has a thick mane. I think I'm OK enough to the point where I will just do topical treatments and not mess with any medication for now.