+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 years old: Rapid hair thinning mystery

Hey everybody,

I'm a recently turned 21 year old who has experienced a great deal of thinning throughout the top of my head, particularly the hairline (see photos).
    A little history:
    1.)my father and my paternal grandfather are both bald and my maternal grandfather, his brothers, and my uncles (his sons) all have or had completely intact hairlines. My grandfather and his brothers didn't lose a single hair up until the days they died.

2.) Over the past 2 years I have lost over 100 lbs and have been on a vigorous exercise routine and a restricted calorie diet (most intense exercise and strict diet in the past 8 months or so). I have read that weight loss (especially at the degree of mine), vigorous exercise, and restricted calorie diets often cause hair to thin on top due to the stress the rapid change has on the body, and that the hair usually normalizes within 8 months to a year.

With MPB running in the family I know I likely risk losing my hair eventually, but so soon? And so rapidly? I noticed the thinning about 8 months ago, right in line with when I really went into overdrive with the health and fitness (I've got that six pack blasting out victoriously by the way haha).

One of my real problems with the diagnosis is that I have no photos for comparison. My entire life I've had long, curly hair that was parted in the center, so I never saw my hairline. There exist literally zero pictures of me to compare hairlines with. In fact, I only noticed that I could see my scalp when I had my hair cut and styled going back, making the forehead visible for the first time since I was like 4 years old.

I plan on seeing a dermatologist who deals with hair loss but unfortunately, due to issues with switching jobs, my insurance doesn't kick in until July so I won't be able to see him for 7 months.

So basically I'm just looking for advice and/or opinions here. What do you guys think? Am I rapidly losing my hair early (even sooner than my father did) or is this related to the rapid and drastic changes in my body and lifestyle? Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.JPG

Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	37024   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg

Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	37025   Click image for larger version

Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	37026   Click image for larger version

Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	37027  

Hey the good news you still have great hair, bad news looks like your suffering MPB and clearly there is thinning.

The best options you currently have are below:

1. Finesteride/Dutasteride.
    2. Minoxidil.
    3. Regenepure DR/NT, Revita or Nizoral shampoo Keto based.

There are other means to help stimulate regrowth, but these are you main bullet also known as the Big 3.

Based on my 5 year experience treating myself, if you decide to use Finesteride try using 0.025mg at the start than slowly increase to half and than full 1mg.

Jazz pretty much gave you all the info you need.