+ Reply to Thread

Default Can you have thin hair on top of head and not be balding?

i made a post about this in yahoo answers about 2-3 years ago and few months ago here. i noticed my crown area showing a bit in the mirror. i kinda forgot about it after stressing for a few months. i noticed it again 2-3 years later (now) and its pretty much the same. im stressed about it again.

but im wondering, can you just have thin hair on top of your head without going bald? because its been the same way for 3 years now. its mostly viable when my hair gets greasy or when i wear headphones or a hat.

i asked my barber he said he dosnt see anything
    when i posted here i was told to go see a dermatologist. i did he just took a quick look and didn't really conform yes or no. he just said if it is its mostly likely male pattern baldness and told me to take pills or rogain if im worried about it.

back to my main question. can you have thin hair on top and not be balding? or if it did thin a bit, is there a chance it stopped or is it gonna go all the way

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danman View Post
    i made a post about this in yahoo answers about 2-3 years ago and few months ago here. i noticed my crown area showing a bit in the mirror. i kinda forgot about it after stressing for a few months. i noticed it again 2-3 years later (now) and its pretty much the same. im stressed about it again.

but im wondering, can you just have thin hair on top of your head without going bald? because its been the same way for 3 years now. its mostly viable when my hair gets greasy or when i wear headphones or a hat.

i asked my barber he said he dosnt see anything
    when i posted here i was told to go see a dermatologist. i did he just took a quick look and didn't really conform yes or no. he just said if it is its mostly likely male pattern baldness and told me to take pills or rogain if im worried about it.

back to my main question. can you have thin hair on top and not be balding? or if it did thin a bit, is there a chance it stopped or is it gonna go all the way
    Could you post your age and photos? Strong lighting can make hair appear quite a bit thinner. Without seeing photos, it's not possible to give you any sort of a decent answer.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

back to my main question. can you have thin hair on top and not be balding?
    Yes. It can be diffused alopecia wherein the density drops but there is no clear defined spot of balding.

or if it did thin a bit, is there a chance it stopped or is it gonna go all the way
    Yes and yes. It could stop or come to a very slow crawl pace or it could continue to progress into full blown male patterned hair loss. Look at your family history, both sides, and see if anyone in your family has a similar pattern of thinning such as you describe.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

In the original thread you started in November of 2014, it appears (at least on my computer) that the links to the images you posted are broken. If the links are broken, could you repost or upload some new reasonably high resolution images without a flash? The site admin may want to merge these two threads. Were you able to get a HairCheck? It's good news that your barber isn't seeing anything. Years ago, I edited a music video for a country rock band. The drummer is blonde and the overhead light made him appear to have a bald spot about the size of a tennis ball. Meeting him in person, he has absolutely no hair loss whatsoever.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck