+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Terminal loss and too much loss overall on Avodart

Hi Guys,

I'm becoming a bit of a obsessive reader but never been so much of a poster with these hair loss forums. I'm in a bit of a conundrum which I'm hoping you guys can perhaps help me with.

I'm a diffuse thinner but with a lot of thinning at the temples ( right side – looking at a 3a and 2a on the left). The miniature hairs make it look better than it is, but with the way things are going it's not going to be long until they disappear. Top of the scalp is also thinning out quite rapidly at the mo, especially at the crown.
    I have long thick hair which helps cover thinning areas but when it's wet.......scares me half to death. Sometimes I can't believe how fast this has happened.

I used 1mg of brand name propecia for a year which thickened my hair on top but gained no results at the hairline and temples where things seemed to get worse at a fast rate. Because of the cost I decided to jump on proscar and cut the pills up into quarters. At first I changed over to Dr reddy's instead of proscar and I really wished I hadn't. After losing more hair on reddy's I bought myself some proscar (cutting into quarters – 1.25 mg) just because there was evidence of fin working the first time using it, but this time round it didn't hold the loss and seemed to get worse.

My next move was to buy 10g of RU58841 5% as good things have been said about it being affective at maintaining the hairline. I used between 70 to 100mg mixed in 80% alcohol with 30% PG and applied over 1ml a day. Most went on my hairline. I didn't see any results within the 4 months I was on it, if anything I shedded (again) and lost more hair overall. I would still love to be using the stuff but haven't purchased any since as I'm travelling to south east asia for 7 weeks next week and decided it would be a burden getting through customs and keeping cool. I don't think I used it long enough to know if it was helping.

This is where I'm at at the moment and I'm really hoping for some advice – I've been using avodart since October last year and I have never been so worried. About a month in I started to shed to a degree which I have never experienced before. I was hoping by now (3 months in) it would of stopped but it seems to be getting more aggressive. I was aware of the dreaded dutasteride shed, but decided to take the plunge. I have lost so much miniaturised hair which at first I thought was a good sign that I was going through a good shed, but from the start of the year I'm also losing a lot of thick terminal hair from on top and back and sides. .....which I don't understand? I'm seriously considering stopping. I'd like to reach the 6th month mark but if I carry on losing this much...that'll be near enough it. Battle lost.
    There are a lot of stories about dutasteride, but in a way....there's not enough!

I know this question is asked a lot but for those of you that have taken the time to read this and can perhaps relate – Did any of you recover from the nasty dutasteride shed and experience terminal loss.

Sorry this post is so long.

I'd really really appreciate some feedback. Thank you.

Crazy that just two years ago I had a full head of hair.

No one?

I would say there's no reason to stop, as being off DUT isnt going to save your hair, if anything it will get worse.

4 months is not enough to judge if it's working, you may be going through a bad shed that may come back a bit.

either way, ride it out for at least a year and then judge, dont keep switching products.

Hi
    i also going through the same, took Propecia for a year and hair stopped falling untill the 12th month mark where some hair began falling so did some thinking and realized that been on Propecia and dont see any hair regrowth.
    so decided to try Avodart, and now been on Avodart for almost a month and losing hair like never before.
    did you find some information on our condition?
    what did you decided to do ?

please share im as i dont know what to do anymore

thanks

how much of Avodart are you taking?
    do you see any results?
    im on Avodart for about a month and hair is falling like never before, the reason that i doubt Avodart its because with Propecia hair stopped falling in the 3rd day, but nothing with Avodart.

btw im taking .5mg of Avodart,

Quote Originally Posted by Simon007 View Post
    how much of Avodart are you taking?
    do you see any results?
    im on Avodart for about a month and hair is falling like never before, the reason that i doubt Avodart its because with Propecia hair stopped falling in the 3rd day, but nothing with Avodart.

btw im taking .5mg of Avodart,
    youre not going to get the same reaction with every drug, I'm taking .5mg avodart just like you, just 1-2 times a week(which is all you really need with how long it stays in your system).

you couldve starting taking it right before a shedding phase in your hairloss kicked in. Nothing changed for me when I started taking it, but I had just been shedding for a few weeks prior to that, so that phase may have just ended when i started on it.

just keep on using it, and see what happens, very doubtful youre going to keep shedding for months on end, something else would have to be wrong if that's the case.

yea man i know,
    but for all the crazy trail results that i read online you would think that it would kick in asap,
    how long have you been using Avodart?

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    I would say there's no reason to stop, as being off DUT isnt going to save your hair, if anything it will get worse.

4 months is not enough to judge if it's working, you may be going through a bad shed that may come back a bit.

either way, ride it out for at least a year and then judge, dont keep switching products.

I hope you're right. Just a shame I'm travelling for 7 weeks where there will be a lot of swimming and water events involved….My hair looks in a bad way when wet. Going to have to come up with a solution or man up.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon007 View Post
    Hi
    i also going through the same, took Propecia for a year and hair stopped falling untill the 12th month mark where some hair began falling so did some thinking and realized that been on Propecia and dont see any hair regrowth.
    so decided to try Avodart, and now been on Avodart for almost a month and losing hair like never before.
    did you find some information on our condition?
    what did you decided to do ?

please share im as i dont know what to do anymore

thanks
    I'm going to carry on in hope that the shed will stop soon and regrowth will be around the corner. I'd be over the moon if my temple loss came recovered.