+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the comments. Why would my risk be higher of experiencing shock loss than others. Is there any ground for that?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty1 View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Why would my risk be higher of experiencing shock loss than others. Is there any ground for that?
    Here's my take on shock loss based upon personal experience and speaking with a large number of Dr. Cole's patients:

1.) My personal experience with shock loss... Years ago at another clinic, I had a scalp reduction. This is where a strip of balding scalp was removed from the top of my head. I experienced substantial shock loss, but the hair grew back. About a year later, I experienced shock loss again from my last procedure at a big chain hair transplant clinic. The hair grew back. The methods back then were crude and invasive.

2.) Shock loss is less likely with minimal depth FUE. When minor shock loss occurs with modern FUE, it's more likely to occur when a large thinning or miniaturizing area on the top of the head is grafted. There is a very low risk of shock loss with today's FUE and hair lost due to shock loss nearly always grows back. In other words, the loss is related to a "shock" to the scalp that sends the hair into a temporary resting phase (telogen).

Loss can become permanent when the blood supply is drastically reduced. For instance we have a patient whose strip was closed at another clinic in a way that cut the blood supply off to an area of his scalp. An area the size of an ear became necrotic. It eventually healed smooth and completely hairless. We placed beard hair in the area and the first pass offered some decent coverage.

If FUE is properly performed in order to fill in an area of recession, the chance of significant shock loss in our experience is so low that, I don't see it being an issue of any great concern.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Thanks a lot for the elaborate answer. This motivates my throught that shock loss is not something to worry about too much.

One thing that amazes me is that there are so few examples of people with a similar number of grafts in same area as me. Most hair transplant are 1500+ . I don t like the idea of getting from completely bald to much hair overnight. Maybe also because i would try to keep it low key without my whole environment noticing my transformation. Do it rather now at a level where i van still hide it.

The only similar case i did find was this one:
    http://www.*********************.com...D=3292&DrID=59

Did you perhaps came across more similar cases in your work 35yrsafter, or you know some from the internet?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty1 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the elaborate answer.

Did you perhaps came across more similar cases in your work 35yrsafter, or you know some from the internet?
    Here are a few cases similar to yours although their recession was more pronounced than yours:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg

Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	37017Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg

Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	37018Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg

Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	37019

Have you thought long range. ?

You want to fill in a small area at your temples , what happens in 10 , 20yrs with further loss . You'll have to go back and get more done .

And the cycle will continue

From looking at your pic, I would advise you to think twice for the following reason:
    1) your recede is probably not noticeable to anyone except you and its so minimal that it probably shows you are somewhat of a perfectionist, perhaps someone really hard to please. When you go through a cosmetic procedure, you take risks. These risks include shockloss like the poster above stated, needing to take meds for life, unnatural hair growth that doesn't blend in with your natural hairs, low yield, scaring, etc
    2) you have not even seen one positive result from a patient referrence from your doctor. Photos he shows you should provide very little comfort in his work.

This is coming from an experienced HT veteran.