+ Reply to Thread

Default I've accepted that I am balding and am ready to do something about it.

I've had really thick hair up until the last couple of years. I first noticed the widows peak or the very center of my hairline was thinning just a bit. Nothing besides that really changed for the next year. Then I had a incident towards the end of 2013 where I got into major stress/depression. Fast forward to maybe early/mid 2014 I get more thinning out in my front hairline. As the months passed I noticed I would get insane amounts of hair loss everywhere it would seem. Hair would just randomly fall out of my head and tons in the shower. I remember collecting like 20 hairs one time when I was taking a shower. Now it has been really progressing on just one side of my head where my sideburn is. It's clearly bald. My other side looks normal and fine. It's so depressing and it is eating away at me ever ytime I look in the mirror. I scheduled a apt with a derm for next month (earliest he is avaliable) hopefully I can start propecia and combat MPB.

Is there any advice to stay positive? Any hopeful outlooks? Only thing that picks me up is readings peoples success they had and how happy they are now. It just gives me hope.

You are doing the right thing by seeing a derm. If you do have MPB, hopefully you will be able to get a script for finasteride as it is your best weapon against hair loss. Just be happy that you are actually treating your hair loss in a timely manner. Many around here including myself waited longer then we should have.

Thanks notcoolanymore, I just hope I can at least regrow some hair back and maintain.

Here is a funny story actually. I forgot to mention when I first noticed my front hairline thinning I went to see my doctor. She told me I was thinning, but not balding (BULLSHIT) so I told her to set me up with a dermatologist. Funny thing was she got on the phone and said he will be in shortly. Didn't even have to wait so I was pretty happy. She left the room and I was anxious and then the knock on the door. In comes this old man WITH THE WORST RUG I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. It literally looked like the hair on a plastic halloween mask. I instantly thought to myself "oh my god hes gonna tell me to accept it". Low and behold thats exactly what he told me, he didnt even check my hair he just looked at it and told me. I wanted to rip that wig off his head and tell him "WHY DIDNT YOU ACCEPT IT". I now have a new doctor and hopefully a better dermatologist who specializes in hair treatment.

That's a funny story. Doctors can be some of the worst haters especially if they are bald themselves. It is like the get offended because you don't want to end up like them.

Doctors don't really seem to treat it as a 'real' problem. They think its just cosmetic but unfortunately they don't seem to realise the emotional and psychological aspect of it

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus11 View Post
    unfortunately they don't seem to realise the emotional and psychological aspect of it
    Which can lead to other problems.