+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default My hair loss 22 years old

So I've just turned 22 and I'm starting to get really concerned about my hairline.

I've always had a slightly receded hairline ever since I can remember but I'm really not sure whether its gotten worse or not. I style it so you can barely notice the recession but when I pull the hair back its fairly shocking to see just how receded my hairline is.

I'm not sure how the Norwood stages work so could you guys possibly look at my photos and tell me what you think my hair loss stage is, and possibly any advice/guidance on what to do, if anything.

I'm unsure whether its even a maturing hairline or not, because I honestly haven't noticed it receding any time recently, but then again I may be wrong.

Please tell me what you think. Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.JPG

Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	36972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.jpg

Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	36973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg

Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	36974  

I would say you are a NW2, maybe NW3. Also your temple points look very thin. Only advice really to give is that you should consider treatments if you want to potentially grow some hair back or stop your loss.

Hey thanks for your reply. I've been thinking about finesteride? Would anyone recommend that?

I think my hairline has been very similar to what it is now for a long long time after looking at pictures, it's just my hair naturally covers my recession really well as I have kind of wavy hair.
    Does this potentially mean it'll kind of stay this way for the foreseeable future? Or should I definitely consider treatment as a preventative measure? Thanks!

I take finasteride and would recommend it if you want to do something to treat your hair loss. There are some that will recommend against taking it. I would say if you are considering taking the drug then talk to your doctor about it. If your hair line has been like that for a long time then I guess it is possible that it could be a mature hair line. If you are unsure you can take pics and compare every 6 months, or see a derm and have he or she check your hair for miniaturization. I wouldn't take any drugs unless you really had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I take finasteride and would recommend it if you want to do something to treat your hair loss. There are some that will recommend against taking it. I would say if you are considering taking the drug then talk to your doctor about it. If your hair line has been like that for a long time then I guess it is possible that it could be a mature hair line. If you are unsure you can take pics and compare every 6 months, or see a derm and have he or she check your hair for miniaturization. I wouldn't take any drugs unless you really had to.
    Sorry I'm not quite an expert on the subject as of yet, so what exactly is miniaturisation? And how would the dermatologist know whether my hair will thin further? Thanks.

As hair loss progresses the follicle produces thinner and thinner hairs, until it produces no hair at all(or very thin vellus hairs). That is miniaturization in nutshell. Usually in the MPB effected areas of your scalp you will see lots of thinner hairs than on the rest of your scalp.

As hair loss progresses the follicle produces thinner and thinner hairs, until it produces no hair at all(or very thin vellus hairs). That is miniaturization in nutshell. Usually in the MPB effected areas of your scalp you will see lots of thinner hairs than on the rest of your scalp.
    So in essence finesteride causes the hair follicles to thicken again, essentially?

It can do that or at the least keep follicles healthy longer.

It can do that or at the least keep follicles healthy longer.
    I have to admit the anecdotal stories about finesteride causing male breast enlargement etc really puts me off going on it, otherwise I'd start using it straight away!

Hop on finasteride straight away. It's the best advice you can get for doing something against MPB. All other things available right now are either experimental (thus last resort) or just additional stuff. Finasteride is your main weapon, so to speak.

By the way, I think you still have good hair. That's not to say you're not balding, just saying that it still looks good thus maintenance being enough imo, something that is very achievable with finasteride