+ Reply to Thread

Default 32 & beginning to lose hair - sorting through what to do

I first noticed slight hair loss at 30. It's a bit worse now. I'm not sure it upsets me as much as some guys on the forums, but obviously I think about it or I wouldn't be here. Right now it's tied with the 20 pounds I've put on since college on my appearance "cons" list. But I can see the handwriting on the scalp; baldness runs in my family.

I was talking this over with a guy I've become pretty good friends with at work. He posed an interesting question - would I be more bothered by gaining 30 more pounds by 40 or losing my hair by that age? I thought about it a minute and decided I'd rather be bald than fat. (I ran track in high school and guess I still have that image of myself; I didn't think much at all about my hair until I started losing it.)

Of course, I'd rather be neither. I hit the treadmill a few times a week and am optimistic I can keep my weight at bay - it's been pretty stable for the past 3 or 4 years. But if I want to keep most of my hair, I need to decide on a course of action now.

I'm interested in what some of you guys think. I wonder if I'll be more unhappy by continued balding over the next few years than I think. And I'm clueless as to combating my hair loss. I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in something as drastic as implants or transplants but am open to the various treatments (such as Propecia) many of you have tried. Any observations or advice would be welcome.

Get on propecia (finasteride generic version) Asap. also try rogaine. I was like you started to notice hair loss on my early 30s but thought hey a cure will be out soon and didn't think anything of it. At almost 40 it has gotten a little worse so I've decided to get on fin and trying liquid minxoidil (generic rogaine)

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by balddc View Post
    I first noticed slight hair loss at 30. It's a bit worse now. I'm not sure it upsets me as much as some guys on the forums, but obviously I think about it or I wouldn't be here. Right now it's tied with the 20 pounds I've put on since college on my appearance "cons" list. But I can see the handwriting on the scalp; baldness runs in my family.

I was talking this over with a guy I've become pretty good friends with at work. He posed an interesting question - would I be more bothered by gaining 30 more pounds by 40 or losing my hair by that age? I thought about it a minute and decided I'd rather be bald than fat. (I ran track in high school and guess I still have that image of myself; I didn't think much at all about my hair until I started losing it.)

Of course, I'd rather be neither. I hit the treadmill a few times a week and am optimistic I can keep my weight at bay - it's been pretty stable for the past 3 or 4 years. But if I want to keep most of my hair, I need to decide on a course of action now.

I'm interested in what some of you guys think. I wonder if I'll be more unhappy by continued balding over the next few years than I think. And I'm clueless as to combating my hair loss. I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in something as drastic as implants or transplants but am open to the various treatments (such as Propecia) many of you have tried. Any observations or advice would be welcome.
    Men who begin losing hair at 30 are in much better shape than men who start losing at 20. Short of hair transplants, Propecia (finasteride) or Avodart (dutasteride) are the most effective treatments. Dr. Bernstein has an impressive photo gallery of Propecia (finasteride) results Here

Rogaine foam is minimally effective and derma rolling a few hours before applying Rogaine, dramatically improves its effectiveness. Massage and scalp exercises improve circulation and some articles suggest copper peptides improve hair growth in part by promoting subcutaneous fat.

Coffee is good for your hair.

According to Sharon Keene MD, cigarette smoking, sunburn, stress and excessive alcohol consumption are detrimental to healthy hair growth.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Are you saying to use both fin and minoxidil simultaneously or to first try one and then the other before choosing my course of action? Thanks for the quick response.

I haven't heard of dutasteride; I'll read up on it.

What the heck is "derma rolling"?

And wouldn't coffee make my hair jittery? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I don't smoke. I'm the poster boy for pasty skin. I seldom drink. However, my job does involve some stress (I think maybe that explains some of the extra 20 pounds.)

Thanks much for your insights.

Are you saying to use both fin and minoxidil simultaneously or to first try one and then the other before choosing my course of action? Thanks for the quick response.
    Do both at the same time. Apparently, I just found out, minoxidil liquid is more effective than the foam

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Default Derma Rolling aka Micro Needling - Finasteride (Propecia), Dutasteride (Avodart)

I haven't heard of dutasteride; I'll read up on it. What the heck is "derma rolling"?
    Dutasteride 0.5mg is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline. It was developed for the treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy or BPH. It's sold by the brand name Avodart. Dutasteride 0.5mg is approved by the FDA for the treatment BPH, but not for androgenic alopecia.

Like finasteride (Propecia), dutasteride (Avodart) is an oral medication. It blocks the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the hormone largely responsible for both prostate enlargement and male pattern baldness. Dutasteride inhibits the action of both types of the 5-alpha reductase enzyme (Type I and II). Finasteride only inhibits the Type II enzyme, which is present in highest concentrations in and around hair follicles.

Both medications cause a rapid decrease in serum DHT concentrations. Lowering DHT levels inhibits the miniaturization of hair follicles genetically predetermined to go bye bye. Both medications help restore miniaturized hair follicles to re-grow visible hair.

Some men get sexual side effects from finasteride and dutasteride. oddly enough, even though dutasteride is a more powerful medication, some men will have sides with finasteride and not with dutasteride. The reverse occurs as well and some men can't tolerate either medication.

Derma Rolling aka micro needling. Derma rollers can be purchased online for less than $20.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck