+ Reply to Thread

Default Thinning at 18 years old, My Introduction.

I've been scouring these forums for the last couple months, so I felt now is as good a time as ever to join the forums and introduce myself. So hi, everyone.

As my title implies, I am 18 years old and I've suspected for several months that I'm thinning at the temples. Ever since the fall my hair has been kind of itchy on top, and I've had a TON of hair shedding. The hair is shorter, weaker feeling, and some hairs are lighter or almost clear-colored hairs, which seemed to me to be vellus hairs.

I went to a dermatologist, and she seems to think that my fears are reality, it is MPB, and I have a receding hairline. I also have seborrheic dermatitis, which could also be causing the itching/redness, and definitely could be accelerating the hair loss. I am now using a rotation of shampoos- Rx Ketoconazole, Zinc (Head and Shoulders), and Salicylic Acid (TSal), as recommended by my doctor. I was on Selsun Blue for years with no itching, I hadn't used it for several months before my SD symptoms showed up. Go figure. So I might get back on that too, see if it helps my itching. The shampoos seem to help the seborrhea but it doesn't work as well as I'd hoped, the itch is still there. There does seem to be less hair fall now, however. I fear the itch could just be the "hair loss" itch that I see many people complain about on these forums...

My hair loss is almost unnoticeable right now, but it seems to be pretty aggressive. I fear that if I don't do something now it will be too late. I also fear that nothing will work, or that even if it does, it will come at a major cost to my health and future. I am also dealing with repeated pneumothoracies, or better known as lung collapses, which combined is creating a lot of stress. I'm a college student as well, so I'm a bit desperate at this point.

The good thing is that I think I've caught the process relatively early, and my family and girlfriend will support me regardless what decision I make.

I'm considering all of the options, but I'll be honest I'm pretty damn scared of the possibilities. I've seen the horror stories, I know what Finasteride can do to you.

Considering:

Finasteride - Obviously the most successful hair loss drug on the market. I've read up and down this forum and others, trying to decide if the benefits of this drug are worth the cost. I figure I'll at least try the drug and see if I have any immediate, obvious side effects. But I don't know how i feel about being on this drug this early in life, and how I feel about being on this for years at a time. I am heavily considering this option, and will likely start on Propecia in the coming weeks unless persuaded not to.

Shaving my head/going bald - I absolutely, 100% hate how I look with short hair. especially if there isn't any hair actually there. But i know this is an option. And the only safe option. I am a pale, skinny white guy with an awkwardly shaped head and I cannot grow a full beard, at least as of yet. Hats, I've been told, don't work well on me. And I don't want to be known as that guy who is balding at age 19. So obviously, as everyone on here is, I'm fighting this option.

Minoxodil - I'm considering this, but not right now. Only once I see noticeable thinning on the crown will I use minoxodil. I have seen that some people have success with minox at the front of their hairline, but I have also seen people who have said it just shed the hair quicker and never grew back thicker. I also don't want to commit myself to minox because I know that if I EVER stop using it, most of the hair will shed away. Plus many of the people who have had success use it in conjunction with fin.

NOT Considering, unless persuaded:

Laser Treatment - Never been able to find anyone who honestly believes this can work without other treatments

Hair Transplants - I'm too young for this shit. The hair might shed away within a few years, and then I'll just need another surgery. Or, more importantly, even if it works the hair around it will continue to bald. This is only an option once I am almost completely bald.

So anyway, as everyone else does on here, I'm asking for your opinions, and I'm asking for help. I'm already on a keto shampoo, and will likely go on Propecia soon. Thanks to anyone who read this whole thing through. You guys have been super helpful to thousands of men wrestling with their issues.

Here's some pictures of me. The hair is wet in some pictures, and the lighting makes it look worse. It's practically unnoticeable unless I point it out. But its aggressive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141220_150224.jpg

Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	36910Click image for larger version

Name:	20141224_014157.jpg

Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	36911Click image for larger version

Name:	20141224_020711.jpg

Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	36912Click image for larger version

Name:	20141224_020715.jpg

Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	36913Click image for larger version

Name:	20141224_020731.jpg

Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	36914

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

It's normal to experience some thinning and recession at the temples at your age. If you don't have much of a family history of hair loss on your dad or mother's side, that should give you some peace of mind. When I was 18, I went to a dermatologist because I had an itchy, scaly, inflamed scalp. The doctor told me I had seborrheic dermatitis which can cause hair loss. The doctor prescribed hydrocortisone 2.5%. This got the itching and shedding under control.

BTW, your hair doesn't look thin in the photos. Many young guys stress over minor recession. It is very rare that a man past 30, doesn't have at least some recession. The late former president Ronald Reagan is one rare exception. I don't think he had any recession at the temples at all.

have a look here:
    Don Rickles Roasts Ronald Reagan

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    It's normal to experience some thinning and recession at the temples at your age. If you don't have much of a family history of hair loss on your dad or mother's side, that should give you some peace of mind. When I was 18, I went to a dermatologist because I had an itchy, scaly, inflamed scalp. The doctor told me I had seborrheic dermatitis which can cause hair loss. The doctor prescribed hydrocortisone 2.5%. This got the itching and shedding under control.

BTW, your hair doesn't look thin in the photos. Many young guys stress over minor recession. It is very rare that a man past 30, doesn't have at least some recession. The late former president Ronald Reagan is one rare exception. I don't think he had any recession at the temples at all.

have a look here:
    Don Rickles Roasts Ronald Reagan

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    I've been holding onto this hope for several months, but i have to be cautious. Hair loss definitely trends on my mothers side, the blond hair side. And the thinning goes back about an inch. Its possible that if I could get the SD under control that magbe my hairline won't recede much further. But everyone hopes for that, I'm considering all the options. I used clobetasol propionate foam for two weeks, with no noticeable effect positive or negative, I haven't heard about hydrocortisone? I'll look into it.

Also, my dermatologist offered me Propecia like it was candy. Really, Doc?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingPaul View Post
    I used clobetasol propionate foam for two weeks, with no noticeable effect positive or negative, I haven't heard about hydrocortisone? I'll look into it.

Also, my dermatologist offered me Propecia like it was candy. Really, Doc?
    Did your dermatologist recommend clobetasol propionate? It has a listed side effect of hair loss/hair thinning!!! Years ago I got a prescription for hydrocortisone 2.5% to treat seborrheic dermatitis which has a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. I believe in Canada finasteride (Propecia) is available as a topical. Most likely less sides. At your age I wouldn't take Propecia as an oral med.

Chuck

My dermatologist (who might be an idiot) did prescribe me the clobetasol for SD about a month ago, after i had started losing hair. I have since stopped using it. Didnt really have much effect either way, still itched after i used it.

Just got a haircut, and honestly it was painful because of how weak my hair is. Like physically painful. And i would love to try the topical finasteride, however I cannot afford a flight to Vancouver to try it, especially since that method is largely untested.

Oh i've read it before, im glad you have so much confidence in it. If I lived in Canada or at least closer to Vancouver I would consider it, but being 2000 miles away that isn't an option.

If you do have MPB your only hope is to get on finasteride. I realize that option sucks, but it is pretty much all we have at this point unless you want to go the experimental route which I personally believe should be only considered as a last resort.

I would agree, thanks for confirming what I've been thinking. It sure is one hell of a drug, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingPaul View Post
    I would agree, thanks for confirming what I've been thinking. It sure is one hell of a drug, though.
    I personally havent experienced sides on fin, I started losing my hair around 17-18 as well, was a NW2 by 19(NW3 by 20) and got on FIN at 20, I'm now on DUT 3 years later as FIN wasnt strong enough(still NW3 just a little thinner) but still no really bad side effects.

get on it sooner rather than later and you won't regret it!! just get off it if you experience sides, highly unlikely sides persist after discontinued use.