Is my hair thinning? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Is my hair thinning?

As you can see, my temples and crown look pretty good. I think the front of my hairline may be thinning out though, as you can kind of see farther through the hairline back into my hair. Though both my grandparents had hair, my dad lost his hair, and I'm concerned about very early MPB (I'm only 20) and wondering if I should see a dermatologist. I may be crazy but who knows, that's why I'm here....thanks for any help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg

Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	36775Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg

Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	36776Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg

Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	36777

You look as if you have a good head of hair. I can only dream of having hair like that.

It might be. That's about what my hair looked like less than two years ago, and now I can't hide it. Actually my hair looked about like that 8 years ago except with a lower hairline. If you were born with naturally thinnish hair, then it might not be thinning at all. Get an expert opinion.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dtubbs View Post
    As you can see, my temples and crown look pretty good. I think the front of my hairline may be thinning out though, as you can kind of see farther through the hairline back into my hair. Though both my grandparents had hair, my dad lost his hair, and I'm concerned about very early MPB (I'm only 20) and wondering if I should see a dermatologist. I may be crazy but who knows, that's why I'm here....thanks for any help!
    Hair loss in men is nearly always AGA, also known as MPB. It's inherited from your mother or father's side of the family. Some say the mother's side of the family has the strongest influence. Sometimes men get MPB from someone generations back. I met a young man here at Dr. Cole's office who didn't know of anyone on his mother's or father's side of the family with any hair loss at all. He was thinning in his early twenties. My dad's father had a full head of hair. His mother's father was bald. My mother's father was bald, so I got it from both sides of the family.

Do you have any associated issues like excessive dandruff? For that dermatologists will sometimes prescribe a topical corticosteroid like hydrocortisone cream. 1% hydrocortisone is available over the counter. I believe it inhibits the telogen phase of the hair cycle so you have more hair growing (anagen). Sometimes dermatologists will recommend Rogaine or finasteride (Propecia).

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office in Atlanta - Cole Hair Transplant - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks for the input, y'all.

I'm not sure whether my hair has always been on the thin side or not, and it could have always looked like this, but my girlfriend made a comment to about my hair a few months back and I've been kind of paranoid. I'll try to see a dermatologist and if it is early MPB at least I hit it early.

As far as the dandruff comment goes, I've always had dandruff but by no means severe to the point where I needed to be prescribed medicine for it.