+ Reply to Thread

Default Who should I go to if I believe I'm balding at 18?

Hi guys, I'm new here.

Basically I'm 18 years old and believe im balding at the temples and am beginning to get the "M" shape hairline. I've spoke to my mum about it and she disagrees and says that her hair does the same thing with the thin hairs at the temple, however I still think mine is different to hers. She said her dad didn't start balding until the age of 70, and my dads dad always had a full head of hair. A hairdresser even commented on mine once and asked why the previous hairdresser had cut the side of my bangs way shorter than the middle. I have a feeling that what may have caused it may have been the fact that I used to wear beanies a lot with my hair pushed back, if that makes sense, rather than having my bangs forward out of the hat, they would be held back with the beanie. I also used to tie my hair up when I used to go to the gym but not ridiculously tight. I only began doing these two things about 2 years ago and that has basically been when I've seen a difference in my hairline.

What I'd like to know is, is if I think I'm balding, who should I talk to? My doctor? Because I'm sure he's no hair expert? I really don't know where to go? Or should I just opt for my own opinion and begin taking viviscal? I'm almost 100% sure I'm balding, and really am not going to take it for an option and want to stop it as soon as I can. Basically I just want any help/advice I can get on who to talk to and anything I can be doing to slow this down? Thanks guys.

You need to go to a dermatologist - a doctor who specializes in skin and hair problems. If you think you are balding, then don't ignore it or you might regret it later.
    Would have been helpful if you posted some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaan View Post
    You need to go to a dermatologist - a doctor who specializes in skin and hair problems. If you think you are balding, then don't ignore it or you might regret it later.
    Would have been helpful if you posted some pics.
    Thanks for your help. I tried to post a few pics but it wouldn't let me for some reason. I am going to book an appointment with the dermatologist. As the waiting list may be a while, what would your opinion be on buying some rogaine and beginning that right away?

Your dermatologist will diagnose whether you're suffering from Male Pattern Baldnes (MPB) or not. Don't do anything yet, or you might end up losing even more hair. The doctor might recommend minoxidil or finasterade, and maybe a shampoo if you have MPB.