+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hairlessM View Post
    I mean how hard can it be to grow a hair. IT'S A HAIR. The whole human body is covered in them. It should be the first thing you learn in science class.
    This is why I am personally optimistic.

Sheddingtears... I would visit a dermatologist. You've heard the now cliché term; "Ask Your Doctor"... He may be willing to prescribe a topical steroid like hydrocortisone 2.5%, triamcinolone acetonide, or Cordran SP. These should get the itching under control and all three have a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. A recent Spanish study points the finger at the role our body's immune system plays in normal hair cycles and hair loss.

Here is my own experience... I got into poison ivy a couple of years ago and the rash persisted and I ended up with Atopic Dermatitis aka, Nummular Eczema. I tried hydrocortisone 1% and it barely eased the itching. I tried Cordran SP and that came close to getting it under control. I am now using triamcinolone acetonide and it is by far the most effective. Researchers believe that an overactive immune system plays a role in the development of Eczema. Corticosteroids like triamcinolone acetonide suppress the immune system. I believe that when applied topically, these three for example, inhibit the telogen phase of the hair cycle. I have noticed that hardly any hair comes out in my brush when I use the topical steroids to keep eczema under control.

Sheddingtears; you should be also doing everything else known to improve hair growth. Buried Treasure has a product called "Hair Skin and Nails" that covers hair nutrition. Make sure you aren't taking any medication that has a side effect of hair loss. I once took a combination of Ibuprofen, Allegra, with glucosamine chondroitin and it had a devastating effect on my hair density. You should start using Nizoral shampoo if you aren't already. Don't be afraid to brush your hair and massage your scalp. Try to avoid stress and research indicates coffee is good for your hair. Avoid sunburn, excessive alcohol, and cigarettes.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Damn, this is depressing. I suppose this is a good time and place to share this story about how hair loss can affect a person. I was talking about my hair loss with my mother and how much it affected me when she told me about my grandmother who died of cancer in the 80's. Obviously cancer therapies cause hair loss and my mother said that she remembers how upset my grandmother was as her hair fell out and she became bald. She said that she knew she was dying anyway and that her hair should be the last thing to worry about, but she couldn't help being extremely upset at how much it changed her appearance.
    Just thought I'd share that paraphrased story for all the people who say "it's only hair".
    Just goes to show how important looks are not matter what age you are.