+ Reply to Thread

Default **We demonstrated that human hair-follicle DPC can be reprogrammed to induce hair !

SIGNIFICANCE
    Growth of de novo hair follicles in adult skin occurs by a process known as hair neogenesis. One way of initiating neogenesis is to place dermal papillae isolated from the hair follicle in contact with an overlying epidermis where they reprogram the epidermis to adopt a follicular fate. This approach, however, has not been successful using cultured human dermal papilla cells in human skin because the cells lose their ability to induce hair growth after expansion in vitro. In this paper, we demonstrate that by manipulating cell culture conditions to establish three-dimensional papilla spheroids, we restore dermal papilla inductivity. We also use several systems biology approaches to gain a comprehensive understanding of the molecular mechanisms that underlie this regenerative process.

Growth of de novo hair follicles in adult skin occurs by a process known as hair neogenesis. One way of initiating neogenesis is to place dermal papillae isolated from the hair follicle in contact with an overlying epidermis where they reprogram the epidermis to adopt a follicular fate. This approach, however, has not been successful using cultured human dermal papilla cells in human skin because the cells lose their ability to induce hair growth after expansion in vitro. In this paper, we demonstrate that by manipulating cell culture conditions to establish three-dimensional papilla spheroids, we restore dermal papilla inductivity. We also use several systems biology approaches to gain a comprehensive understanding of the molecular mechanisms that underlie this regenerative process.

In conclusion, we have demonstrated that adult human hair-follicle dermal papilla cells can be partially reprogrammed to become capable of inducing hair-follicle neogenesis simply by manipulating their cellular microenvironment. This partial reprogramming in itself is sufficient to initiate hair-follicle neogenesis in non-hair-bearing human skin; however, we have identified several additional transcriptional regulators that we predict will enable complete recapitulation of the genetic profile of a fully functioning dermal papilla. These findings represent a significant advance within the field of tissue engineering as it relates to cellular therapy of the skin and hair follicle.

Over many decades, a large body of literature has demonstrated that epithelial–mesenchymal interactions result in secondary induction and organ development. Here, we show a dramatic example of how organ neogenesis can be achieved by exploiting the inherent properties of interacting cells to create new structures. We show that it is possible to harness the inductive properties of adult cells to direct de novo organogenesis and translate this concept to demonstrate that cultured human dermal papilla cells can instruct and initiate human hair-follicle induction. Although further work will be required to increase the efficiency of this process, this crucial first step represents a milestone advance for bioengineering of human hair.

Who said all this? Why is no one talking about it?

nice info. where do you have that from? is it a recent news? you haven't mentioned any source.

This would be great news if I were losing my hair... in 2024!!!

Thanks though - interesting.

Microenvironmental reprogramming by three-dimensional culture enables dermal papilla cells to induce de novo human hair-follicle growth
    Claire A. Higgins,a James C. Chen,b,c Jane E. Cerise,a Colin A. B. Jahoda,d,1 and Angela M. Christianoa,b,1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3856847/

If I see another '5 years' in that article I'm going to vomit.

"This would be great news if I were losing my hair... in 2024!!!
    Thanks though - interesting. "

Why do you say that ? is this new news or Old ? Where do you get the 2024 date ?

I feel like this should have been a much bigger deal than it was. This is great news!

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    I feel like this should have been a much bigger deal than it was. This is great news!
    It was, this is an article from October of 2013. Old news. I believe Dr. Christiano reported this in January they had gene expression of 22% if I'm right and they were working on making the gene expression higher.