32 years old, from Germany, do I have diffuse alopecia or something else? - Page 3 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomschulte View Post
    Are you sure that you see thinner / miniaturized hairs?

I think they have a color. But miniaturized hairs don't have a color, they must be unpigmented, am I right?

But they are very rigid and inflexible and when I try to comb them, it does not work.
    At 32, your hair looks good. Realize that most men's hair thins a bit as they approach their thirties. Is there much severe hair loss on your mother and father's side of the family? Also, camera flash can make a thin spot appear in a photo where there is no thinning whatsoever. I recommend you locate a doctor in Germany that does a HairCheck. Dr. Mwamba in Belgium may offer this. Not sure, but you should give his office a call.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

My mother and father have full hair. My father is 68 years old now and has relatively full hair for his age.

The parents and grandparents of my mother and father had mostly full hair until the age of 70-80.

No one with a bald head in my family.

Belgium is too far away to visit a doctor there.

But I think it's the same as Trichoscan.

http://trichoscan.com/pages/english/home.php

Some days ago I went to a dermatologist. He made a trichoscan and told me that I have alopecia androgenetica.
    He told me that he can see miniaturized hairs on my crown.

The dermatologist told me that the roots of my hairs produce many miniaturized hairs instead of terminal hairs.

But when I look at my head, I see new hairs everywhere.

They are 3-4 cm long.

I had a nose surgery this year in April with general anaesthesia.

Can such a general anaesthesia or nose surgery affect the hair growth?

But I want to emphasize that I never loose many hairs. I loose 10-15 hairs per day and that for years. Not more than 10-15 hairs, not on a single day, for many months now.

Years ago, when I had scurf, my shoulders were always white from the scurf, and together with the scurf, there were also hairs on my shoulders.
    But that was years ago.

The scalp was always reddened and irritated and now it's less itching at some parts of the scalp. And I don't have scurf on my head any more. And the coiffeur sad, the scalp is less reddened, so my hairs can grow again.

Is that correct?

http://imgur.com/a/SWNDK/layout/grid

This is a better link to my album with the photos.

I have noticed another thing:

The hairs that have grown in the last weeks, the hairs that grow again at parts of the head that seemed to be empty, are much darker than my other hairs. They are also much more inflexible than my other hairs.

These hairs are dark brown or nearly black, and relatively stiff. If I want to bend them in a direction, they return to their former position again.
    My natural hair color is ash blond. So I can clearly see these dark brown or nearly black hairs.
    I found these hairs near my temples and at my crown.
    I thought it must be 10-15 hairs at my temples and 10-15 hairs at my crown that are so dark.

Can someone explain me what these hairs are? Vellus hairs or miniaturized hairs have no pigmentation. New terminal hairs?
    I think you can see these hairs on my photos, too.

I would be glad if someone could answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I have noticed another thing:

The hairs that have grown in the last weeks, the hairs that grow again at parts of the head that seemed to be empty, are much darker than my other hairs. They are also much more inflexible than my other hairs.

These hairs are dark brown or nearly black, and relatively stiff. If I want to bend them in a direction, they return to their former position again.
    My natural hair color is ash blond. So I can clearly see these dark brown or nearly black hairs.
    I found these hairs near my temples and at my crown.
    I thought it must be 10-15 hairs at my temples and 10-15 hairs at my crown that are so dark.

Can someone explain me what these hairs are? Vellus hairs or miniaturized hairs have no pigmentation. New terminal hairs?
    I think you can see these hairs on my photos, too.

I would be glad if someone could answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
    It appears your hair is spending too much time in Telogen. Out of balance hair cycles can be caused by a number of things. If you were I, this is what I would do:

1.) I would look up every medication I use, both over the counter and prescription. See if any have a side effect of hair loss. If any have a side effect of hair loss, I would find an alternative.

2.) I would alternate shampoos. I would use Nizoral once per week and a shampoo with anti-DHT ingredients like Hair Cycle or Nioxin.

3.) I would use an over the counter topical corticosteroid once per week. In the US, hydrocortisone 1% is available without a prescription. Corticosteroids commonly have a listed side effect of "excessive hair growth". My opinion on that is, it doesn't actually grow hair, but rather inhibits the telogen phase, so that more hair is actually growing at the same time. Some of the more powerful topical corticosteroids you can get are Cordran SP and triamcinolone acetonide. These are commonly prescribed for eczema and both have a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. The prescription versions are overkill and topical steroids can cause skin thinning. I would use an over the counter version.

4.) If Rogaine Foam is available in Europe, I would use that. Recent studies indicate that topical versions of finasteride are effective and some studies indicate that their use with a derma roller increases their effectiveness.

5.) Avoid sunburn, stress as much as possible, and don't smoke cigarettes.

6.) Drink coffee, it's good for hair.

7.) Avoid the fear that brushing and massage will dislodge hair. Good blood circulation is important to healthy hair growth. Hair grows better if you're rougher with it.

8.) Consider PRP treatment at a reputable clinic. These treatments are expensive, so if your hair doesn't improve after giving all the other right things a chance, PRP nearly always increases the hair shaft diameter of miniaturizing hair.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com

Thanks for the answer.

Hair loss? I never loose hair actually. I mean, perhaps only 10-15 hairs per day.

I don't smoke cigarettes, I'm a nonsmoker.

I never drink alcohol. I never drink coffee. Coffee is too bitter for me.

Nioxin shampoo has Anti-DHT ingredients? Or is it a special product from Nioxin that has this ingredients?

Nioxin is always sold in 3er packs. A shampoo, a conditioner, and a leave-in. Do you mean this Nioxin? Because I have used it some months ago and I think that I have much regrowth on my head since then. Many small dark hairs that are 3-5 cm long meanwhile. I began to use Nioxin in the end of September or october, I don't know any more.

What is a PRP Treatment? Never heard of that. Please explain what that means.

I have a seborrhoic eczema in my face. So I used cortison cream for years now. But in the last months, I use other creams for the eczema and use less cortison for the eczema.

I never brush my hair or my scalp, I always use a comb only. But if it's good, I could start brushing my hair.

I don't use tanning salons any more.

I noticed that you say your e-mail-adress is 35YrsAfter @ chuck@forhair.com

That won't work. Two @-symbols don't work. You can always use one @-symbol only in an e-mail-adress.
    Or do I understand your e-mail-adress wrong?

I would be glad if you could answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Tom

I noticed that you say your e-mail-adress is 35YrsAfter @ chuck@forhair.com

That won't work. I would be glad if you could answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards
    Tom
    Tom, my email address is chuck@forhair.com

Chuck

Thanks for the answer.

Hair loss? I never loose hair actually. I mean, perhaps only 10-15 hairs per day.

Nioxin shampoo has Anti-DHT ingredients? Or is it a special product from Nioxin that has this ingredients?

Nioxin is always sold in 3er packs. A shampoo, a conditioner, and a leave-in. Do you mean this Nioxin? Because I have used it some months ago and I think that I have much regrowth on my head since then. Many small dark hairs that are 3-5 cm long meanwhile. I began to use Nioxin in the end of September or october, I don't know any more.

What is a PRP Treatment? Never heard of that. Please explain what that means.

I would be glad if you could answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Tom

Tom:

I wasn't meaning to endorse a brand of shampoo. I would find a shampoo with ingredients that promote anagen and inhibit DHT.
    PRP is platelet rich plasma. PRP was originally used to help heal stubborn injuries. Hair transplant doctors began using it because it speeds healing. PRP also causes miniaturizing hair to grow thicker.

Reference Links:
    PRP Emory Healthcare

Role of Platelet-rich Plasma in the Management of Androgenetic Alopecia

Platelet-Rich Plasma in Androgenic Alopecia: Myth or an Effective Tool

Platelet Rich Plasma in Androgenic Alopecia: Where do we Stand?

Platelet-rich plasma for androgenetic alopecia: a pilot study.

Thanks for the answer.

Please answer the questions if possible.