+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Minoxidil: Am I too far gone?

My hairline has been receding for two years... and it became perceptible around 15 months ago.
    I want to know from you guys if minoxidil can still help me get my hairline back.. not all of it... but still. Can it make a substantial difference? If not, I'd rather stay bald (I'm just getting used to it).
    I had baby(or dying) hairs on my hairline a month ago, but now they're gone.

I do not want to use finasteride, or any other treatment. Minoxidil is about as far as I think I should go.

I'm a 23 year old male.

Also, Can anyone tell me what Norwood stage this looks like?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141220_001.jpg

Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	36667   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141220_002.jpg

Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	36668  

C'mon guys!!
    No reply??

Quote Originally Posted by dyi View Post
    I do not want to use finasteride, or any other treatment. Minoxidil is about as far as I think I should go.
    I would say you are not too far gone since your hair loss hasn't been going on for many years. Minoxidil has worked wonders for some people, but fighting hair loss without finasteride is really an up hill battle. If you are serious about fighting your hair loss you need to really consider using finasteride.

bump

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

I would consider using Rogaine foam with a derma roller. If available in your area, topical finasteride may be a better option for some men. I recommend you use Nizoral once per week. The rest of the week, you can use an inexpensive shampoo like Walmart's

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office in ATL - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 03:51 AM.

So you are saying minoxidil alone may grow back some hair on my hairline?? I had a few (very few) thin hair on my hairline a few months ago, but those have gone now.

If I can grow back about half an inch, I can have a near-normal hairline. But I would rather be bald than use finasteride.

So you are saying minoxidil alone may grow back some hair on my hairline??
    DHT causes several hair related problems in men genetically predisposed to MPB, aka AGA. A multi-pronged treatment strategy is going to be the most effective approach. Rogaine alone usually disappoints.

Chuck

I understand the science and treatments Doctor (not as well as you do obviously). But is it true that if the hairline has only been receding only since a few years (say 2-3), then minoxidil may be able to recover hair well enough to sport a mature hairline at least?

Exactly a year ago, a doctor had said I was "the perfect candidate for minoxidil". My hairline has receded at least a quarter of an inch since then. I am wondering whether it will still work after all this time

Exactly a year ago, a doctor had said I was "the perfect candidate for minoxidil". My hairline has receded at least a quarter of an inch since then. I am wondering whether it will still work after all this time
    Any time is a good time to begin using minoxidil. It's generally not all that effective, but better than not using anything. I use it even though it improves my hair by only about 10% max.

Chuck

Only one way to find out...
    But, if I were you, I would try Finasteride for 6 months. I gave Finasteride another shot (first time I imagined I had sides because of all the dumb shit people write online) and it worked for me, just pop the pill and forget about it -> no sides no nothing. It costs me 8€ for 75 days by the way.
    Whatever you decide to do just make sure to use the stuff long enough to even give it a chance.