+ Reply to Thread

Default Re: Dr. Farjo's proposed age limit fot HT's...

Dr. Farjo is right! To a point… This is the reason why I have held back on getting a hair transplant. As a 23 year old i am worried that the short term fix will look great at first, but i know eventually i will loose much more hair in the years to come. To me the idea of being bald sounds a lot better that having random patches of hair on my scalp. I applaud doctors like these who warn those of this possible and most likely outcome, but i do not believe there should be an age limit. I believe it should be undoubtedly the patient’s or doctor’s choice to go forth with the procedure. No restrictions. Only warning of the possible outcome is necessary.

Default Re: Dr. Farjo's proposed age limit fot HT's...

I agree that the later you wait the better, and that anyone in their teens or early twenties are too young for surgery. However, I feel as if most of the hair loss blogs I read these days, people's stories almost always start out by stating "I started to lose my hair/thinning in my early twenties." And I almost always hear after the surgey "I wish I would have done it sooner."

Propecia wasn't around back in then, and the surgical techniques are getting better everyday. According to Dr. Hasson, propecia is VERY effective at maintaining hair in the kid scalp and crown areas for the duration of its use. And while you cannot count on future breakthroughs necessarily, I think that its a fairly safe bet some other treatment just as good as propecia and or rogaine will emerge.

HT are all about distribution and supply/demand. Obviously the older you are the more easily it is to determine such. Family history, rate of loss, ect. also help. I most IAHRS surgeons are ethical and know when to say no. However, are you telling me that just b/c Hasson and Wong, or Shapiro Medical have operated on a 21 yr old make them unethical or a bad clinic? I disagree....

Quote Originally Posted by hdude46 View Post
    I agree that the later you wait the better, and that anyone in their teens or early twenties are too young for surgery. However, I feel as if most of the hair loss blogs I read these days, people's stories almost always start out by stating "I started to lose my hair/thinning in my early twenties." And I almost always hear after the surgey "I wish I would have done it sooner."

Propecia wasn't around back in then, and the surgical techniques are getting better everyday. According to Dr. Hasson, propecia is VERY effective at maintaining hair in the kid scalp and crown areas for the duration of its use. And while you cannot count on future breakthroughs necessarily, I think that its a fairly safe bet some other treatment just as good as propecia and or rogaine will emerge.

HT are all about distribution and supply/demand. Obviously the older you are the more easily it is to determine such. Family history, rate of loss, ect. also help. I most IAHRS surgeons are ethical and know when to say no. However, are you telling me that just b/c Hasson and Wong, or Shapiro Medical have operated on a 21 yr old make them unethical or a bad clinic? I disagree....
    What I heard was that Dr. Farjo wasn't making any specific age requirements to have a hair transplant. It was more about making appropriate choices based on age and future hair loss. I’m sure since Dr. Farjo, Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Hasson and Dr. Wong are all members of the IAHRS they probably all agree on similar criteria when performing hair transplant surgery on a young person. I think Dr. Farjo was talking about the extreme cases with the really low hairlines and doing surgery on 18 year olds who have just started losing their hair and about the clinics that make false promises to impressionable young people.

Can somebody point me to where Dr. Farjo said whatever it is he said?

Those are encouraging words from Dr. Hasson regarding propecia effectiveness.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

It's a radio interview, here's the link.

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/hair-los...r-transplants/

Thumbs up

That’s was a good interview! I think it’s necessary for young guys to be informed like that. When I was 18 I was thinking about having a hair transplant but was lucky to find Spencer’s show. I wasn’t even close to being ready for one and it would have given me a lifetime of trouble if I started so early. I’m ready to have one at this point in my life 12 years later and feel lucky to know that there are ethical and respectable doctors that Kobren recommends like Dr. Farjo. I can’t even think how hard it must be for those18 and 19 year old guys who had surgery only to find out two years later that they need more because they kept losing hair and weren't told up front. You need to me emotionally and financially prepared for this and mature enough to make a good decision. Who else should help you make those choices but your doctor? This is really good information!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

All patients should get proper councelling before having a hair restoration procedure. Some patients mature earlier in life than others. I agree that patients under a cetain age should receive additional time and information before being allowed to have the surgery. Like any other set of rules, there will always be a few exceptions to the rule.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Different doctors,different aproaches.

You will get one doctor who will turn down a 23 year old who is heading towards the norwood 6 area and then another doctor will provide the guy with a 3000 plus HT depleteing his donor and possibly causing future problems for the patient.

I believe the patient must have a few consults,then when he decides on a doctor,said doctor should get the patient on meds and monitor his situation for at least one year.Then make another diagnosis and decide what course of action to take if any.

bm.

I have to agree that Dr Farjo has made a very good call here. I'm 30 and whilst I have receded, the hair loss is minimal. I've visited a couple of clinics who literally couldn't get their scalpel out quick enough! It's important to know that there are other options in the early stages and that when it comes to surgery, it's better to wait until the full extent of your hair loss is apparent... and to find a reputable surgeon.