Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stressed
    • Jul 2014

Propecia accelerating hairloss

Just wondering if there is any possible scientificly proven or logical way that propecia could accelerate hairloss? I have been on it for 9 months now and my hair has gotten much worse particularly infront just above my forehead. Each day my scalp itches like crazy and i pull hairs out on an hourly basis. The fact that it has gotten worse is not in my head, it is based on constant checking and a photo diary.
  • Swooping
    • May 2014

No, this is pretty much impossible. Propecia is probably not strong enough for you.. RU58841/DUT would be the next step.

Comment

• Buster
      • Jul 2012

My hair seemed to get worse too, check my post history if you want. I've spoken with others on this forum and others who seemed to experience the same. Of course, there doesn't seem to be any scientific explanation for it, and my doctor and dermatologist say that it's impossible, but for my hair loss to have sped up like that after nearly 20 years (I'm 39) of very slow hair loss, I really have no idea what to think.

Comment

• sundev09
        • Oct 2014

I had heard the same thing about propecia...i decided to stay away from it...that and the possible side effects I figured it wasn't worth it.

Comment

• Stressed
          • Jul 2014

So is there still a slight possibility that my hair will thicken up at a later stage in the treatment? Even though it is worse as late as 9 months down the line

Comment

• Stressed
            • Jul 2014

I took brand name propecia for 6 months then switched to finpecia for 3 and now back on propecia for three weeks. All were bought from a pharmacy with a prescription. Is it possible that these transitions could have caused shedding? I dont see how as both pills have the same active ingredient

Comment

• Ted
              • May 2011

I have read a lot of posts from people saying they've got accelerated hair loss from finasteride. Not just an initial shedding, but accelerated hair loss for over a year. One theory is that you get more testosterone that will harm some peoples hair more than DHT. I haven't seen any proof of this theory. Another is that you up regulate the DHT receptors and thus lose more hair. A third is that the increased estrogen causes the hair loss.
              I don't know what to believe but I know that when I used fin for 2 years my hair loss in the temples continued at about the same pace as before I started it. And after I stopped the pace of my hair loss was still the same.

Comment

• Stressed
                • Jul 2014

It just doesn't make sense that the only drug available to stop hairloss would cause it.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by sundev09
                  I had heard the same thing about propecia...i decided to stay away from it...that and the possible side effects I figured it wasn't worth it.
                  Let me guess, your hair loss isn't that bad yet... Give it a norwood or 2, you will change your mind real quick.

Comment

• Jan 2013

Ive been taking Fin for approx. 2 years. Thankfully no sides for me, and my hairline maintained for the first year or so, but my thinning/loss has kicked into overdrive in the last few months…I'm going to make the switch to Dut soon.

Comment

• Jazz1
                      Inactive
                      • Aug 2012

I use legit brand Merck propecia, it has saved my hair for the past 4 years stopped my hairloss and regrown hair.

On the other hand I hear horror stories people switching brands causes them to shed, I only use mine every other day and still effective plus I save money.

Comment

• mpbsucks
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Stressed
                        Just wondering if there is any possible scientificly proven or logical way that propecia could accelerate hairloss? I have been on it for 9 months now and my hair has gotten much worse particularly infront just above my forehead. Each day my scalp itches like crazy and i pull hairs out on an hourly basis. The fact that it has gotten worse is not in my head, it is based on constant checking and a photo diary.
                        Hey Stressed, sorry to hear you are going through this. The same thing happened to me, the only difference is that propecia worked for me for a short time before it went bad. However, that being said, it definitely altered something in my scalp's chemistry and made my hairloss worse. A big shed hit after 7 months and my scalp started to tingle, itch, and burn. My hairloss became diffuse and still continues today (I lose about 100-200 hairs/day). I have read countless stories from others this has happened to so don't listen to anyone that says it's impossible. After about a year of the accelerated loss I switched to dutasteride 0.5 mg EOD for 5 months which did not help. I have tried RU which halts the shedding for about a week and then it resumes aggresively. Minoxidil was the only thing that has really been effective since the big shed started but I had to stop recently because it caused chest pain and tachycardia. I am now going to try neogenic and a pgd2 blocker. Here is a thread with others that had the same experience, I have numerous others as well...Good luck man

Comment

• Stressed
                          • Jul 2014

Thanks for the replies. Im starting to think it could be something else causing the hairloss because it sometimes occurs on the sides and the back.

Comment

• Stressed
                            • Jul 2014

I dont know what to do!! 10 months on fin and my hair continues to shed like crazy! Should i stop???

Comment

• Sanchez123
                              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Stressed
                              I dont know what to do!! 10 months on fin and my hair continues to shed like crazy! Should i stop???
                              Ever recovered?

Comment

Working...