+ Reply to Thread

Default Hey Everyone. First Time Poster. HT Candidate? Wait a while?

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Wanted to see what it'd be like to contribute, instead of just creeping other folks' threads and stalking away into the night.

I've been dealing with hair loss for about 5-6 years at this point. First noticed some temple recession around 23-24. I'm 29 currently. It's been a pretty slow burn. The right temple has had the same sad, stalky patch of like a dozen hairs at the fringe for years. It's waxed and waned as I've gone through bouts or trying to treat it, then giving up in disgust. No crown loss, as far as I can tell. When I feel the thickness in the back (donor area), through the crown, mid-scalp and front, there's a definite more-to-less decline, but it's not noticeable visually, except maybe in the very front under really harsh fluorescents.

Been on/off minoxidil for most of that time, about a years worth of RU, and some dabbling with fin here and there. Most of that stuff has been within the last 3 years. I've had some side effect freak outs with fin and RU---real or imagined. Probably somewhere in between. For me, at least, seems like I can't get away totally untouched with 5-AR inhibition.

Had my doctor write a script for generic fin, which I've been taking since October of this year (2014). Initially 7 days @ 1 mg, but I've scaled it back to 1 mg M-W-F. I've read basically every thread on dosage I could find, tried to decipher the charts about half life and all, and came to the conclusion that some kind of consistency was important, and that it'd be better for me to just take the damn thing as is rather than cutting it into fractions, if possible. It's been ok so far. Don't have much morning wood to speak of, and I'm a little slower to excite maybe, but for now everything is still working well. I've also been on anti-depressants for the last 11 years, and every fall/winter seems to get rougher as I get older, so there are certainly some mitigating factors. I work 6-7 days a week, as well. Trying not to bug out about sides; been with my girl for 3 years now, and we get it in about 2-3 times a week. Was 2-3 times/day when we first got together, but y'know how that stuff is...

If nothing else, I can say for sure that there's a good deal less hair in the drain after a shower. Seems like the stuff that's been shedding has been thinner, miniaturized, rather than the healthier, darker stuff that used to come out in droves. There's less in the brush, as well. Temple growth does seem to be coming in a little darker and thicker, too. I don't expect major regrowth, and certainly no hairline advancement, but it'd be nice to thicken it up and maintain. At least until the 5 year cure, right?

Sorry this turned into an epic saga. I've got a habit of doing that. I've attached a few pics below, from today (12-14-14). Hair is shoulder length these days, so I've put it up in a samurai knot. I've got a massive head---always had an especially giant forehead, so the recession I've had is magnified that much more. Or maybe I've lost a shit ton of hair and am just kidding myself.

Thanks for reading. I'd really appreciate any comments, suggestions, hateful screeds. Whatever.

PS: As you can see, I wasn't sure how to orient the pics correctly. Sorry. I'll figure that out next time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	36581   Click image for larger version

Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	36582   Click image for larger version

Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	36583   Click image for larger version

Size:	93.8 KB