+ Reply to Thread

Default 2 and a half months off fin but still have anxiety

Hi all,

I was on finasteride for just over 2 years. I gave it up 2 and a half months ago as I started experiencing crushing anxiety which begun about 6 months ago (not sure if related to the medication).
    Since giving up fin nothing has changed. I still experience major anxiety and I am slightly losing hair which is making the anxiety worse. Should I get back on fin or wait and hope for the anxiety to subside if in fact it is a relation to fin?

Thanks

Could it be that the anxiety is not directly related to Fin but rather the stories you may have read, the expectations of results or sheds.
    The conceptual process of getting on fin is enough to give people anxiety rather than the medication itself but I could be wrong.

I have little or no experience regarding fin apart from a supposed topical fin and have had no such issue stem from its usage however... however I do suffer from anxiety and it is an pre existing issue for me :/
    I can relate to the crushing anxiety on my own level and personally its so bad waking up in the morning or after a good nap.

May I suggest some vitamins such as 'st Johns wart' until it passes it tends to help me but the effects take a 30+ minutes to kick in sometimes so best take it before an attack.

I wish you all the best as a hair loss sufferer and as a sufferer of anxiety.
    Hang in there man!

Anxiety about what, sides? If you are having anxiety when you aren't even taking fin, then no don't even get back on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hair Bear View Post
    Could it be that the anxiety is not directly related to Fin but rather the stories you may have read, the expectations of results or sheds.
    The conceptual process of getting on fin is enough to give people anxiety rather than the medication itself but I could be wrong.

I have little or no experience regarding fin apart from a supposed topical fin and have had no such issue stem from its usage however... however I do suffer from anxiety and it is an pre existing issue for me :/
    I can relate to the crushing anxiety on my own level and personally its so bad waking up in the morning or after a good nap.

May I suggest some vitamins such as 'st Johns wart' until it passes it tends to help me but the effects take a 30+ minutes to kick in sometimes so best take it before an attack.

I wish you all the best as a hair loss sufferer and as a sufferer of anxiety.
    Hang in there man!
    St Johns Wart interacts with a lot of other medication, so be careful when starting it.

Thanks for the responses!

The anxiety is not about fin as such it's a generalised anxiety that just kind of grew out of nowhere it makes everything/anything overwhelming and stressful. I don't know if it's related to fin and I figured the only way of finding out is to go cold turkey. The problem is that in doing this you are watching yourself lose hair which makes the anxiety worse. I fear that I may lose all of my hair and find that fin was not related to it anyway.

Anxiety can also produce a positive feedback loop which allows it to persist for a long time.

Fin could have physically caused anxiety initially (or you just got anxiety thinking about sides). And then it can still continue after you stop if you are anxious about being anxious. It's a tricky circle to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    Anxiety can also produce a positive feedback loop which allows it to persist for a long time.

Fin could have physically caused anxiety initially (or you just got anxiety thinking about sides). And then it can still continue after you stop if you are anxious about being anxious. It's a tricky circle to break.

I sufferd anxiety many years , I don't think its related to fin,the only way to beat it is hard excersise and cut back on the alcohol , I now drink mid strength beer etc